diy solar

diy solar

6061 Aluminum for 280ah EVE cells - how chunky should I go?

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
I want to make a base for my EVE 280 ah cells and side plates to compress them somewhat,

Base - instead of a piece of plywood I want to use a piece of 6061 Aluminum stock, and then have 2 straps and be able to the 4 cell battery like a big IKEA bag [along with my 80's boom box on my shoulder)
1/4 inch 6061 will be strong enough? 3/16 and then 1/2 inch (latter is heavy)
how about the side plates?

FYI: I plan on putting insulating layer inbetween the cells and the aluminum.

It depends less on the thickness than the section. An angle is much stiffer than a flat plate, for example. Channel is likely even stiffer (it's two angles tied together), and a box section is the stiffest.

Depending on how you make the frame, I think 1/8" thick 1" angle aluminum would work. I'm using 2" angle aluminum in that thickness as partial support for my two 4s 280Ah batteries.

Depending on how you make the frame, I think 1/8" thick 1" angle aluminum would work. I'm using 2" angle aluminum in that thickness as partial support for my two 4s 280Ah batteries.
I want a continues flat bottom alu pieces and same on the side to protect the cells as I will be transporting them from my boat (little crestliner) to my truck > garage

I see L angle aluminum to give it strength,
So
1/8 inch FLAT rectangular piece with angle piece below it?

Can you draw what you're thinking of?

The angle aluminum I work with has equivalent sides. 1" angle is 1" on each leg.

If you created a compression frame like most of us are out of plywood and threaded rod, that would work. I carry my 4s batteries by holding onto the threaded rod, but you could easily put handles on the plywood. I realize that plywood using ideal for a marine environment, but you could finish it in marine grade polyurethane.

Remember the battery cases are slightly conductive to the positive terminal, so a bit of insulation is called for where it contacts the blue plastic case covers.

I'm using 3/8 hdpe plastic for my base, sides, and compression endplates, captured by a steel frame made from 3/4 angle. The batteries will be captured/clamped on all sides by hdpe, partially to mitigate any conductive issues. I debated whether the hdpe is strong enough for the compression endplates, but I did some testing and I think it will be good. I can beef up with additional steel if needed. I don't have my cells yet, so I made a mock up battery to fabricate around.

3/8 hdpe plastic, that probably will work too, where did you buy it from?
I have a local metal works mega store (in bus since 1947) I bought the one in the pic about 10 years back. This one is TOO thick and heavy. I think it is 1/2 inch thick,

Attachments

• eve_alu_plate2.jpg
    eve_alu_plate2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 21
  • eve_alu_plate.jpg
    eve_alu_plate.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 21
Some pics. Still a work in process, waiting on some hardware to do my endplate compression. The bolts across the top will clamp the cells down with a strip of hdpe. I'll have similar bolts on the open end with the BMS to compress the cells. There will be a top and end cover made from hdpe so the battery will be totally enclosed. For mounting in a van.

IMG_0382.jpgIMG_0383.jpgIMG_0384.jpg

Some pics. Still a work in process, waiting on some hardware to do my endplate compression. The bolts across the top will clamp the cells down with a strip of hdpe. I'll have similar bolts on the open end with the BMS to compress the cells. There will be a top and end cover made from hdpe so the battery will be totally enclosed. For mounting in a van.
Blutow,
Well done, that look like a pro job,
will I be able to get the hdpe plastic at lowes?

3/8 hdpe plastic, that probably will work too, where did you buy it from?
I have a local metal works mega store (in bus since 1947) I bought the one in the pic about 10 years back. This one is TOO thick and heavy. I think it is 1/2 inch thick,
I bought a 4x8 sheet of it at a local plastic supply house, I think it was about $130 for the full sheet which should be more than enough for 4 battery cases. You can buy it on amazon, but it's stupid expensive to buy small pieces. It's the same stuff cutting boards are made from, very durable. Also used in boats. The only downside is that it's non-stick, so most adhesives don't work on it.

Blutow,
Thanks, I haven't seen it at lowes or home depot.

I'll have about $60 in steel, $130 for the hdpe and probably another $20 worth of stainless fasteners. So, around $50 per case in materials and a bunch of time, but I enjoy fabricating stuff like this. It took me a full day to figure out the first one and I still have a few things to work out. Once the design is finalized, I should be able to knock out the other 3 in less than a day.

Blutow,

Consider Coroplast, which I know is available at Home Depot in something like 1/4" thickness. It doesn't have the strength of the HDPE, but it could certainly be used as an insulator between a metal frame an the battery cells.

Back