diy solar

diy solar

60A DC-DC LiFePO4 charger recommendations?

Ample

I'm currently using Renogy's 40A DC-DC controller connected to my van's alternator. Quite happy with it.

I am interested in a more powerful one because I'm planning to add a 2nd battery to my 1x100Ah battery bank, doubling the capacity or even more. A more powerful charger will of course be able to charge the battery bank faster and that's desirable if I'm not going on a long drive but have a depleted bank.

Renogy also sells a 60A model but it's currently on backorder.

I'm curious if there are other makers of such a product. A budget one is likely ok as I'm not a heavy user. Most charging needs will be met with roof-mounted solar. But maybe it's raining for days.

My current 40A charger doesn't have any kind of display. Ideally, the next one I get would have a display for Volts and Amps its pushing to the battery bank. And it would be even better if the display could be made remote via a cable. (I suppose I could add an inexpensive battery monitor myself.)

Any and all recommendations welcome.

Hi, first how new is your vehicle is it a stop/start model. If so it will be fitted with a battery temperature sensor and smart charging system. Alternator smart charging systems put high amps into the battery up to 80-90 percent then low amps until fully charged regulated by battery temperature.
Vehicles need batteries for starting with high output cranking amps for a short period. Leisure deep cycle batteries power is used over a longer period with lower amps replaced with a continuous lower amps so they cycle up and down evenly and are heat sensitive. Charge controllers for leisure batteries need to be adjusted within the battery manufacturer's temperature settings to prolong their life span and stop overheating and venting.
Trying to put higher amps into leisure batteries is not a good idea and will shorten their life span and if flooded type inside a campervan will vent dangerous explosive gases.

I'm currently using Renogy's 40A DC-DC controller connected to my van's alternator. Quite happy with it.

I am interested in a more powerful one because I'm planning to add a 2nd battery to my 1x100Ah battery bank, doubling the capacity or even more. A more powerful charger will of course be able to charge the battery bank faster and that's desirable if I'm not going on a long drive but have a depleted bank.

Renogy also sells a 60A model but it's currently on backorder.

I'm curious if there are other makers of such a product. A budget one is likely ok as I'm not a heavy user. Most charging needs will be met with roof-mounted solar. But maybe it's raining for days.

My current 40A charger doesn't have any kind of display. Ideally, the next one I get would have a display for Volts and Amps its pushing to the battery bank. And it would be even better if the display could be made remote via a cable. (I suppose I could add an inexpensive battery monitor myself.)

Any and all recommendations welcome.
Kisae DMT 1250 is 59 amps and is both B2B charger and mppt solar controller with a remote monitor and battery temp sensor available

Hi, first how new is your vehicle is it a stop/start model. If so it will be fitted with a battery temperature sensor and smart charging system. Alternator smart charging systems put high amps into the battery up to 80-90 percent then low amps until fully charged regulated by battery temperature.
Vehicles need batteries for starting with high output cranking amps for a short period. Leisure deep cycle batteries power is used over a longer period with lower amps replaced with a continuous lower amps so they cycle up and down evenly and are heat sensitive. Charge controllers for leisure batteries need to be adjusted within the battery manufacturer's temperature settings to prolong their life span and stop overheating and venting.
Trying to put higher amps into leisure batteries is not a good idea and will shorten their life span and if flooded type inside a campervan will vent dangerous explosive gases.

My vehicle has a dumb alternator (not a smart alternator). And my current and future battery chemistries are LiFePO4. They will take lots of current when charging. 50A at the moment for my single battery. Much more when I get a bigger battery. That's why I was looking at a 60A DC-DC charger. My 40A is fine but a 50% charging rate would be better when I get my new battery.

Kisae DMT 1250 is 59 amps and is both B2B charger and mppt solar controller with a remote monitor and battery temp sensor available

That does look interesting but I have an MPPT solar charge controller now. I'm just looking for a 60A unit that's ideally inexpensive.

Back