diy solar

diy solar

650V capable inverters?

Swing

I am (very likely) buying a van that is built with a 650 Volt electric drivetrain.
I want to modify it with a new battery pack and so on.
One of the things I would like to do is use a grid-tied / AC-coupled inverter to make the energy use more flexible.
Currently the van is already fitted with a 22kW 3 phase AC charger which is quite nice.
But I would rather have a 3 phase inverter that works like a lot of grid-tied inverters.
Meaning that it can deliver power off-grid (working on the car battery pack), charge the battery from grid, but also export energy back to the grid.
Exporting back to the grid would be mostly software controlled by me. So I need an inverter that I can control.

However, most high voltage inverters that I have found are only going up to 500 or 600v. A 650 volt system seems a bit too much.
Does anybody have some suggestions?

I could keep using the available 22kW charger and have some other (grid-tied) inverter to feed energy back to the grid, but typically these grid-tied inverters can of course do both ways, and therefore also act as a charger.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I am in Europe by the way, so for European grids.

Last edited:
Hmm, I searched with some different terms, and got into the Deye inverters, like these ones:
https://www.deyeinverter.com/produc...-50ksg01hp3eubm2-3-4-25-50kw-three-phase.html

They are quite heavy and come with a huge PV input power which I cannot really use, but they go up to 800v batteries and they can deliver quite some AC power. I mean, I like the idea of having 25kW (or more) three phase power coming from the van.

I think people are controlling these Deye inverters on lower voltage so hopefully that should give some insight for how to control these high voltage inverters.
I just would like to tell it when to export a certain amount of energy to the grid. The rest of the functions should operate as intended.

Back