diy solar

diy solar

6kw 48v system. which Growatt set up to get?

Do you know what the draw is when you are not idle? I plan on using pretty much constant power 24/7. Probably not a lot, but more than 3a.
not exactly sure what you mean, are you looking for conversion efficiency? If so, no I didn't specifically test for that, but it seemed on par with my other systems. 85-95% depending on load. basically just add 150w to your planned load all the time. If you are asking if it still has 150w of self consumption while running another load, yes it definitely does. System is now installed at a clients house, so no longer available for me to test. Looking at his shineserver stats though idle load is very obvious. he really isn't using the system yet, so his consumption has been very minimal, today he used 500wh, but his total generation from solar was 4.8kwh. yesterday was 400wh used 5.2kw generated day before that 700wh used 4.5kwh produced. so I'm seing about 4.4kwh of idle consumption a day. of course idle consumption while it's sunny isn't a huge deal, but his system discharges about 2.5kwh every night even with no load. (the self consumtion is not tracked by the inverter and not sent to the growatt server) system was @100% soc when I brought it online for him 3 days ago.

If you are asking if it still has 150w of self-consumption while running another load, yes it definitely does.
Ouch! My LV2424 uses about 62wh, so about 1500wh for the day. Most of the time the system is idle because it is in a detached garage where I am building a new house, but the consumption seems to drop into the 20's when I am powering other stuff like lights and my little stereo, but maybe as you mentioned the unit itself is not correctly reporting self-consumption.

Most inverters don't report self consumption. You have to check it with a meter.

Most inverters don't report self consumption. You have to check it with a meter.
Yeah, I am not sure. My LV2424 is reporting 1500kwh of usage each day and I have nothing running off it other than a 7w porch light that is on maybe 12 hours a day (probably less). It is reporting something other than loads.

If you have a shunt on the battery bank, you can compare it with the inverters reading. If not, you can just use a dc clamp meter.

It's possible that your inverter does report self consumption. But, I don't believe that many do.

I always run a seperate shunt meter. I've never seen an inverter that's integrated meter was accurate. They're good for ballpark measurements, but never tell the whole truth. From Trace to Outback to Schneider to Mpp to Growatt.

Another heads up for growatt 6000t owners. I was just going over the sigineer manual for their rebranded unit found in this thread.(first page 5th post) It specifically says NOT top hook up incoming neutral to ANYTHING. I think most of us have been following Ian's diagram that shows all neutrals bonded in the outgoing power panel. The sigineer manual specifically warns of warranty voiding damage if you do. (Looks like I gotta go rewire a generator panel tommorow, thank God they haven't been using the system much yet)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-211041_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-211041_Drive.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Another heads up for growatt 6000t owners. I was just going over the sigineer manual for their rebranded unit found in this thread.(first page 5th post) It specifically says NOT top hook up incoming neutral to ANYTHING. I think most of us have been following Ian's diagram that shows all neutrals bonded in the outgoing power panel. The sigineer manual specifically warns of warranty voiding damage if you do. (Looks like I gotta go rewire a generator panel tommorow, thank God they haven't been using the system much yet)

I haven't seen Ian's diagram, but I assume you would drive everything through the Growatt. Not sure why you would bypass the unit with ground or neutral from main to sub panel.

If you are bringing AC in from the main service panel or grid, the ground and neutral will be bonded, so bringing either the ground or the neutral will accomplish the same thing, I think.

I haven't seen Ian's diagram, but I assume you would drive everything through the Growatt. Not sure why you would bypass the unit with ground or neutral from main to sub panel.

If you are bringing AC in from the main service panel or grid, the ground and neutral will be bonded, so bringing either the ground or the neutral will accomplish the same thing, I think.
Nope you're specifically not supposed to bond neutral and ground on the incoming power. Only on the outgoing power. And according to the sigineer manual, the incoming neutral shouldn't be hooked up to anything.

Nope you're specifically not supposed to bond neutral and ground on the incoming power. Only on the outgoing power. And according to the sigineer manual, the incoming neutral shouldn't be hooked up to anything.
Grid/Main panel must have a ground/neutral bond, so I don't see how that is possible. Are you just talking about generator AC in maybe?

It all depends on how the inverter is designed. So, it's different for each situation.

Follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Then, the warranty covers you.

Grid/Main panel must have a ground/neutral bond, so I don't see how that is possible. Are you just talking about generator AC in maybe?
These are offgrid inverters, they are usually run before the main panel. They supply the main panel.

Yea they are wrong. You are correct
Screenshot_20220518-160745_ShinePhone.jpg
Yup this system is fully charged every day, the inverter doesn't track its own consumption. The difference between the green and yellow is idle consumption

Back