diy solar

diy solar

78 Toyota Ez-Rider Solar/Battery Build

williamolyolson

The Canvas:
PXL_20211009_212141100.jpg
It's old and rough and mostly gutted by its previous owners, and I probably paid too much for it, but what can I say. I've had some kind of strange obsession with these little RVs for a long time and finally got my hands on one.

The Plan:
2x 8s2p 24v SAB 55ah Lifepo4 from BHu. Each rocking a 100a BMS from BHu. Running parallel for a total of 24v @ ~200a deliverable.
4x Newpowa 210w 24v solar panels roof mounted on a linear slide/tilt system so they can be pulled out over door side of the vehicle and become a solar awning.
Will be attempting to design room for a second set of 4 panels under the initial ones so when the top set is deployed in the "awning" position the second set is exposed and can perhaps be tilted up as well.
I still have yet to begin designing the slide/tilt mount system but I'll post drawings as soon as I have them.

I'll be using 2 Renogy Rover 40A MPPT SCCs for redundancy at first and to allow for the expansion to 8 panels if/when I get there.

So far I've acquired 1 Renogy SCC, 16 of the 32 total SAB 55ah batteries, 2 100a shunt power meters for power in/power out display, a few hand-fulls of other gizmos including some little digital voltage meters I'll use to keep an eye on battery health. Some voltage controlled relays, some SSRs, a few buck-boost converters for running some Rasberry Pi projects that will be integrated, and probably several other bits and pieces I'm not looking at right now.

Current Progress:
I've begun construction of the battery enclosure:
PXL_20211128_210940578~2.jpg
.25" black hdpe with 1.5" angle aluminum cut to 3" pieces, 3/16" pop rivets holding it all together.
PXL_20211128_211101357~2.jpg
It's approximately 13" x 25" by 12.5"deep
Should hold 32 of those 55Ah SABs with plenty of room for airflow.

Here's the first 16 I acquired doing some balancing to pass the time:
PXL_20211123_144001231.jpg
As soon as tomorrow(payday!) gets here I'll be ordering another 16 cells, the 2 BMS units and likely the solar panels, cables and the other SCC.

Last edited:
The Canvas:
View attachment 74051
It's old and rough and mostly gutted by it's previous owners, and I probably paid too much for it, but what can I say. I've had some kind of strange obsession with these little RVs for a long time and finally got my hands on one.
Welcome to the forum.
I share your obsession (I love small & unique campers, especially ones based off of the old toyota pickup). Yours looks very cool. Is "EZ-rider" the name you gave it, or the model name? I've never seen this specific make/model before.

Welcome to the forum.
I share your obsession (I love small & unique campers, especially ones based off of the old toyota pickup). Yours looks very cool. Is "EZ-rider" the name you gave it, or the model name? I've never seen this specific make/model before.
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I'm not that clever, that's the moniker given by the rv MFR, a California based company but I can't quite remember where atm.

Reactions: Dzl
Solar panels ordered(4*210w Newpowa 24v version) with some MC4 y cables and some 8awg 10 footers and entry glands for the run back to the SCC. Those should all be here by the 10th. Also ordered 16 more 55ah SAB cells and the two 8s BMSs, no eta on those guys yet, BHu is a bit backlogged in the shipping dept these days it seems.

I did receive the first Active balancer board though, looking forward to playing with these.

PXL_20211202_170159787.jpgPXL_20211202_170308926.jpgPXL_20211202_170427074.jpg

Last edited:
Back