diy solar

diy solar

8 Docan 230amp arrived - - quick check prior to connecting

Starry-Nights

Fast! Ordered on 6/22 arrived Saturday 6/25 via UPS in two boxes. Cells appear perfect, no scratches, no bloat. Checked QR codes; they were manufactured between 8/7/21 to 10/3/21 and all read near identical 3.303V to 3.304V.

I am replacing the eight 100amp 3.2V cells wired 24V in my van and intend to use the existing simple (non-smart) Daly 24V 200amp BMS, Never had any BMS problem and cell voltages have remained the same for the last 2 years. Current battery use is fairly light and rarely goes below 60% SOC, but I often do not used high-draw appliances when cloudy weather forecast - - plus I'd like to add some high-draw items, like air fryer that the new capacity will make possible.

Top balancing: An Eventek 5A regulated power supply is about to arrive, but it looks like it could take a very long time to reach full charge with just a 5A!
Question: would seem I could instead hook up the new bank in series (including the BMS) to my existing solar system and let it charge to say around 95% and then re-configure to parallel for the top-off with the regulated power supply.

Capacity check: I did not purchase any hardware to check this but wonder if I could use the Alai current meter with 350amp shunt already in my system. Seems like once top balanced and full I could install the new battery, re-set the Alai meter to 100% and the new battery capacity. Then with solar disconnected fire up the inverter with around a 1000w load and see how much current gets delivered before the BMS shuts the system down - or I decide to stop it before 2.5V/cell. Think I'd need to check my MPPT setting too so as to allow voltage range. Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

I agree with going direct to series and charge to 27.20 volts and see if there are any low cells. Boost the low cells as needed one at a time while they remain connected in series. Increase the charging voltage to what is to be normal and see how it goes. Continue to boost the low cells if needed. Place in service.

Many thanks - that should save some time.

Since this is not something I do every day, what I understand you to be saying is that I assemble and install the whole serial package just as if putting it into service in the van, turn on my solar and charge until pack voltage reaches 27.2V. Once there, disconnect charging and check each cell voltage. Boost any low cell with the DC Power supply, then continue charging toward what I want to be "100%", with some pauses to check for and boost any low voltage cells. Probably use Will's "5,000+ Charge Cycle Absorption Recommendation" of 28.2V.

Back