diy solar

diy solar

8 x 415Wp panels. How to proceed?

I'd love to love Victron but the sheer madness of all of the different communication protocols drives me crazy. Bluetooth, wifi, smart dongles to produce bluetooth, VE Can, VE Bus, VE Direct. I'm sure I've forgot a few....

Plus they've got multiple products that do maddeningly similar things with very subtle differences. EG: the GX line. I had a bit of a temper tantrum on the Victron Forum about all of this and FWIW Victron themselves totally agree with me. HA

I've done a few small systems with them and the learning curve was atrocious. Still I just installed the Smart Shunt on my system so the Blue cancer is setting in on me... LOL.
well, this is just me.. Only now I realize the bomb you just planted and is going to explode sooner or later.

Because I have an IT background I can relate to this.

I mean in terms of protocol we can't say much as it is up to the vendors. But we really!! should say much and tell them to create a standard!!!!!!
In terms of how to get those bits and bobs ( packets of information ) get transfered is something we can all agree on. We already have standaards for that. now I am totally on board with @OzSolar . It;s ridiculous wifi, ether, blue ()rotting) tooth and what have we.

I strongly suggest we as a strong user community are going to push for something open source.

I have some thoughts about that that I will unveil once I have had more time to think it through.

sorry I mispsoke. I meant that it is perfectly fine to have many different options for comunication. wifi, rottentheeth, and what have we. It is the protocol that goes over those lines that should be standard

Pulled the trigger on the 100 amp version on one of these today. What's wrong with me? Further down the VE.rabbit hole I go.

In my defense it was the two MPPT's that enabled me.

Man 1 : "They faked the moon landing" Man 2: "So you believe in the moon?" Mic drop

I find it this whole 'moon' thing hard to believe also. You're telling me there's this huge ball in the sky made of cheese that orbits us in the EXACT perfect way to only ever show us one face & has stayed that way throughout history, and then plus the fact its also THE perfect size/distance away from earth to eclipse the sun to a T ...

If you genuinely believe that all happened by just some cosmic coincidence - you need your head looking at!

So I have an update. it's quite an anti climax. or not a climax at all because I am still undecided.

I have opted not to involve Victron products. For me they are like designer bags or wildly over priced named shirts.

I do not want to be a groupy.

All in all I am narrowing down to finding someone that can actually build a custom MPPT anything. whether solar or wind.

Because legend has it this brandnewb is still not done with his turbine. ;)

Back