diy solar

diy solar

8000 BTU Solar Powered Air Conditioner

Johnmahon

What's Your State of Charge?
Well, with everything going on in the world, it has been two weeks since my last video. So without further delay - here is the video I posted about running my 8000 BTU window mounted Air Conditioner completely from solar in my off grid shed. Please reference this thread as well, as many of you helped me figure out the best way to get this to work:

I added the third solar panel and the second charge controller and I am now getting more than 750w coming in - plenty of power to run the AC unit. Summers in AZ are brutal - hope this will help out!

Thanks man! What projects do you have going on right now?? I’d love to see them.

Dude, that looks amazing! You should totally post it. Tell me more! What is it? What does it do? Trust me, what I have learned about YouTube (and I am super small right now) is there is an audience out there for you to capture. Keep me posted.

The 570W running was very informative for me. I'm planning on a similar installation for my cabin, and I'm positioning a new 1000W array facing due west to help the AC run late in the afternoon. From specs I was seeing online, I was expecting to need at least 750W. If I only need to supply <600W, so much the better.

The 570W running was very informative for me. I'm planning on a similar installation for my cabin, and I'm positioning a new 1000W array facing due west to help the AC run late in the afternoon. From specs I was seeing online, I was expecting to need at least 750W. If I only need to supply <600W, so much the better.
I did notice yesterday when it was hotter in the afternoon, the wattage did increase to about 660. So I am curious to see what happens when it is super hot during the summer. But compared to other units I researched, this is still half to a third less wattage of others I’ve seen. There is probably a reason the unit is only $299 - LOL. I’m sure the summer months will put it through the ringer. But for now, I’m super excited. Should be fun to see what happens.

Keepiung the a/c condensor in the shade will help keep current down. I have also seen guys trickle water over the condensor to help cool it. When head pressure goes up so doges the current. I have even seen I guy use a water cooled condensor. That uses way less power than the triditional tube and fin.

Greg

Keepiung the a/c condensor in the shade will help keep current down. I have also seen guys trickle water over the condensor to help cool it. When head pressure goes up so doges the current. I have even seen I guy use a water cooled condensor. That uses way less power than the triditional tube and fin.

Greg
Over time, tricking water over the fins will evaporate leaving behind mineral deposits. Need to be careful to not build up too much and/or keep an eye on it. That will decrease efficiency by a good bit more than adding water increased efficiency.

Back