diy solar

diy solar

80A BMS with 2 x 10 AWG - add a third wire?

No Idea

My Hankzor 80A JBD BMS have 2 x 10 AWG wires. There is a hole for a third wire to solder. I am 99.9% sure I will destroy those BMS if I solder (poor skill) so I can either leave them as is or bolt a third wire to them. Pics show how one looks with an 8 AWG wire added. I couldn't get a good crimp on 3 x 10 AWG (too big for some, too small for others) but very solid with 2 x 10 AWG and an 8 AWG crimped in a 25mm2 lug using a 16mm2 crimp die.

20220715_164314.jpg

20220715_164356.jpg

20220715_164347.jpg

Asking because the ampacity charts show 10 AWG is only ok for 30A (enclosed space in ammo boxes) so I need another wire. It is all 200degC rated silicone sheath but I dont want any heat build up because the ammo boxes are plastic.

I had to dremel the corner off the lug on the C- side due to the metal plate the BMS MOSFETS are soldered to interfering.

Heat shrink not heat shrunk yet so it looks worse than it is.

Last edited:
Those leads are normally high temp insulation and can handle more heat/amps than normal insulation. Still, for a similar 100amp BMS, I added a third wire. I would almost never pull full load amps, but still, those limits are in one's head.

It takes a lot of heat to solder to that heavy of a PCB and wire. If you don't have a large enough heat source, no matter your skills, you can't do a good job. I think I used two 225w guns when I soldered mine. One 225w gun was marginal.

Those leads are normally high temp insulation and can handle more heat/amps than normal insulation. Still, for a similar 100amp BMS, I added a third wire. I would almost never pull full load amps, but still, those limits are in one's head.

It takes a lot of heat to solder to that heavy of a PCB and wire. If you don't have a large enough heat source, no matter your skills, you can't do a good job. I think I used two 225w guns when I soldered mine. One 225w gun was marginal.
Thanks for that. I have a 100w iron so no chance even if I dared. Will do it with the bolt and nut.

Much obliged.

Back