diy solar

diy solar

9000 BTU Mini Split Heat Pump Hi SEER Ratings: Innovair vs LG vs Mitsu (etc) Worth it?

Hello :

Currently Carrier has the most efficient mini split on the plant a available for install with a great warranty. Ready for this 42 seer. I think it heats down to -37° with out electric heating coils operating. But it is pricey and has To be installed by there certified installer.

Note; all specifications are carefully taken from the perspective manu's service manuals, keeping in mind CoP performance is highly detailed with dry and wet temps.

The specs on the Carrier Infinity series are:
9k BTU --> 38MPRA (outdoor) & 40MPHAQ09 indoor $2599 - SEER 42 / EER 15 / HSPF 15 c/w variable CoP.
12K BTU = $2699
208/230 v fan & motor specs on pg 14 list the max load demand at:
(input) 137 watts for both 9K & 12K BTU units.
I also see 115 watts (W) for both on the outdoor fan motor
as well as 137 (W). on the indoor high wall unit, consumption on pg 11 indicates 60 (W) for both 9 & 12 BTU units.
Interesting is "Range of Amps" at 0.023 for both units

Gree Saphire sereies
SAP09HP230V1A ($2159) --> SEER 38 / EER 16.5 / HSPF 15
Cooling Power input input 540 (50~1400 watts)
Heating Power input 590(200~1500)
rated input is 1500 wattts Rated current is 6.2 A

Mitsubishi MUZ series MUZ-FH09NA --> SEER 30.5 / EER 16.1 / HSPF (NA:13.5 / NAH:12.5) Cooling Power consumption rated (min~max) 560(100~1000) Watts / Heating Power consumption rated (min~max) 710(110~1470) Watts as noted from pg 4 section 3.

All above units are 1ph @ 220v , I would love to put one of these above units on a dedicated off grid system, trying to spec out a cheap split phase system.
Regards, Marv

I have a Fujitsu 33 seer, 9000 BTU model# AOUG09LZAS1, Indoor Unit m# ASUG09LZBS. Here are the numbers from yesterday. Outdoor temperature 97°F, indoor temperature 70°F, supply air temperature 45°F, vapor line temperature 54°F, voltage= 243.6VAC, total current= 2.64A. Intermittently, it will run up to 3.7A for a minute and then back down to 2.64A. Power Consumption (Cool)= 643-901W. On heat, back in March, I measured total current around 7.0A. Maintaining my 10'x14'x7' R-8.7 insulated power shed really nice right now. It's beer30!

Additional details in the link posted above - its 9000BTU and
  • 25 SEER (CEE Tier 3) ENERGY STAR Certified Inverter Technology. (58% Savings per Year. vs. 10 SEER)
I just purchased it's bigger brother 12000. I'm hoping it proves itself to be a good choice. Still in box and waiting for install in Aug when I make my way back to the hills of Kentucky.

SEER will dramatically reduce when going over 9K units. And another advantage with multi split units where you have one unit outside and multiple panels inside. Is efficiency where you only using unit depending on your time of the day and places in the house you need at the time. I'm originally from Germany and this type of technology is used in my country for many years already. Comparing this to the central unit in US is not even possible if just looking at energy savings. And simplicity to install, no duct needed unless there is huge room that will benefit from ducts. Higher quality units will outlive single speed compressor by great margin. Inverter boards are improved a lot over the years. There is no inrush for this type of units and can be easily run by high frequency inverter. 9 years ago when i bought my first house in US this was first thing I did . Switch to multi split unit.

What is the Carrier model number. Anyone have real world knowledge outside of Carrier’s claim? And how efficient is it at heating, down to low outside temperatures?

I think the new federal regs is now at 17seer for central units
Mandated by DOE. 13 SEER in northern states, 14 SEER in southern states. In 2023, 14 & 15, with HSPF 8.8.

Last edited:
Guess I am asking about brand name, reliability, and (mostly) SEER ratings. Will a 38 really be that much different than say a 21 SEER in amps for maintain a room once it has reached temp

I am not locked into any particular brand, just wondering if going up in SEER (and price) would really lower the amps to maintain a room that much and be worth the 300-500 dollar or more price increase from a 17-23 SEER unit.

Also add to my list above the TOSOT 21 SEER

Thanks
It's not all in the amps (power draw). SEER is a seasonal rating and is based on miniscule amount of cooling (a lot of cycling) in some hours (spring and fall) and running hard mid-day for cooling in summer, less in evening, etc. And is based on Denver weather. SEER is effectively a cooling amount per kW though it's "seasonal" so is what one might call an average for the season. However, in general a SEER 38 will use not much over half the energy a SEER 21 will require. Whether it's worth the extra cost requires you to estimate the value of the energy savings from the more costly unit.

As noted earlier, using EER might be more appropriate, especially if you aren't going to set the thermostat in spring and leave it set there until fall. SEER applies to such use.

You'll find that a higher SEER unit will have a higher EER, but maybe not all that much higher. The "turn-down" ratio or modulation range can be more important that EER and can contribute greatly to SEER. Some units can "modulate" down to only 1/3 of rated capacity. Others down to 1/4 or even 1/6 of rated capacity. A better modulation range reduces cycling thereby improving efficiency. Gree was maybe the first to get down to 1/6 of rating and got them an SEER of 38 even though the EER was a good but not huge 16.5. My son has been running this Gree for a year in his RV.

You might want to look at 120V units like the recently introduced C&H 9K SEER 25 EER 15.5. It has a turn-down to 25%. It requires a dedicated circuit because it's an appliance of sorts but a 120V circuit might be simpler than a 240V circuit. I've plugged this unit into a 120V outlet but don't tell the inspector.

Last edited:
I've got two of the pioneer 12k btu 120v 21 seer units to heat and cool my 1200sqft off grid cabin. Couldn't be much happier. I was considering higher end brands but in the end, all the positive reviews on the pioneer units steered me their direction. Glad i saved the money because these things are awesome for the price.

They can run on as little as 2 amps and produce cool or warm air and they can really crank it out when they are turned up and are pulling 10+ amps.

My only complaints are that the thermostats seem very slow to react and aren't very accurate to begin with. I also wish they offered total manual control of the compressor. For example, if I wanted to just run the system at 10% for a fixed time. And they tend to defrost frequently when the outdoor temp and humidity are at certain levels.

I've got two of the pioneer 12k btu 120v 21 seer units to heat and cool my 1200sqft off grid cabin. Couldn't be much happier. I was considering higher end brands but in the end, all the positive reviews on the pioneer units steered me their direction. Glad i saved the money because these things are awesome for the price.

They can run on as little as 2 amps and produce cool or warm air and they can really crank it out when they are turned up and are pulling 10+ amps.

My only complaints are that the thermostats seem very slow to react and aren't very accurate to begin with. I also wish they offered total manual control of the compressor. For example, if I wanted to just run the system at 10% for a fixed time. And they tend to defrost frequently when the outdoor temp and humidity are at certain levels.
Were you able to install them yourself or did you have them professionally installed?

I have the Innovair 12k model with a SEER rating of 30.5. The compressor unit is made by Gree which I understand is a decent company. I'm waiting for the HVAC guy to hook them up so I can get the warranty on that unit and my new Daikin 18k unit. So I can't offer any feedback on the system...yet.

Do these "240V" mini splits work with split phase 240 (2 120V lines, 1 neutral, 1 ground) or single phase (1 240v line, 1 neutral, 1 ground)?

Do these "240V" mini splits work with split phase 240 (2 120V lines, 1 neutral, 1 ground) or single phase (1 240v line, 1 neutral, 1 ground)?
They are listed as 220V single phase ( work fine on 240V ) , no neutral is used

Still pondering my original question, but I recently found a Mitsubishi 6000 btu 33 seer

All things being equal, for my 285 sq ft area, which would consume less power over a 24 hr period.
- the Mitsu 6k btu 33 seer
- or a 9k 27.5 seer

The 6k might work harder for the room thus consuming more than power.

I'm kinda in the planning phase now as I might install in Nov.

I have a 24v 4000w Schneider SW inverter and 731 Ah of LFP batteries. Wanting to set up the most efficient heat pump that will use the least energy over a 24 hr period.

I would say higher BTUs based on having 2 units. One unit (Innovair 12K) is just slightly larger than needed for it's zone while the other unit (Daikin 18K) is slightly under sized for it's zone.

The outdoor unit that is a little bigger than what's required for the zone, runs less than 1/2 as much as the other unit.

I would say higher BTUs based on having 2 units. One unit (Innovair 12K) is just slightly larger than needed for it's zone while the other unit (Daikin 18K) is slightly under sized for it's zone.

The outdoor unit that is a little bigger than what's required for the zone, runs less than 1/2 as much as the other unit.
Awesome thx

Back