diy solar

diy solar

9500w generator wiring

tialiden

I am a newb looking for relatively inexpensive DIY wiring options that would maximize output from my single phase 240v Pulsar G12KBN 12000W peak, 9.5Kw rated (w/gasoline) to emergency power my grid tied home. Solar is not currently in the mix with this, but that is hopefully coming later. Generator has a L14-50R AND a L14-30 plug, plus 4 120v 20A outlets, and a 12V 8.3A outlet (bat charger). I'm tend to overthink things, but want to keep this fairly simple (K.I.S.S.) while also following codes and being safe. I tried looking for a beginners guide to generators, here but didn't find it.

• I prefer NOT to wire subpanel for critical load and would be ok with just using the existing panel and breakers manually choosing what to power up.
  • I have an Electric Dryer which I will NOT power for obv reasons.
  • I have natural gas furnace and old tank water heater.
  • I run LED's in nearly every light in the home, home is modern, well insulated, ranch, just under 2k sq ft.
  • I live in the South, so AC cooling is almost a must. I have a Trane XR15 4TTR5048E100AC 4T Central AC which I'd like to be able to run, so also purchased the Microair 368-x72 Blue to drop the 109 Locked Rotor Amps (26A min circuit ampacity, comp: RLA 19.9A) to something manageable that the generator should be able to handle.
  • I do not (yet) have any subpanels, just the 200A Cutler Hammer main panel / breaker setup in my attached garage, on outside wall where I'll place my generator outside.
  • Diagram of Gen and polarity test indicates this is 'Bonded Neutral'.
Items I have bought so far for this project:
  • 50 Amp Generator Power Inlet Box NEMA SS 2-50P ETL as a way to connect to my main panel via manual Interlock to prevent backfeed to Main.
  • CH / Eaton Pre2019 1-1/2" Interlock Kit for my existing 200A Panel.
  • I have the pure copper 15 ft RV Generator Cord 50A NEMA 14-50P /NEMA SS2-50RETL to supply the 50A circuit to the new Gen Inlet Box.
  • Eaton CHF250 50A Double Pole Circuit Breaker
First question is, would there be any reason to connect BOTH L14 plugs to my 200A circuit breaker panel? Is that even possible with this setup? So far I haven't seen anyone do this, but as stated I'm novice and want maximum / peak efficiency... All this being said, Can you provide some guidance as to what other considerations and if there is something I am missing?

Also, I should mention that I bought a 6' 3/4" nonmetallic whip using 6AWG THHN copper (4wire) to go from outside wall mount box to my main 200A Cutler Hammer panel (will shorten as much as possible), and bought the Eaton CHF250 50A Double Pole Circuit Breaker, because the wire and box are rated at 50A, and I assume I can't legally bump that to 60A breaker? - Hopefully I'm not confused though about the whole sizing thing. Correct me where I am off base, or can optimize things further.

I've considered some other options like a Double pole 50A Transfer switch, but don't see a need for that (I'm probably wrong).

What are your thoughts?

The NEMA L14-50 will supply 12,000 watts and the generator is only 9500/12000 so the single connector would be used only. Even if the generator had more power only a single connection would be used.

50 amp breakers are fine for this power output. No need to go 60 amp. Everything rated 50 amp is fine.

Back