diy solar

diy solar

98% wall

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
What is your maximum charge current in perfect conditions?

Is it absolutely critical that you get your batteries full to the brim even if it reduces their life, or are you cool with 95%+ charged?

What is your maximum charge current in perfect conditions?

Is it absolutely critical that you get your batteries full to the brim even if it reduces their life, or are you cool with 95%+ charged?
I want them to last as long as possible, if charging them to full with damage them then I don't want that. im pulling in 3000w in good sun and the controllers push about 100amps into the bank after the inverter takes what it needs for the loads.

Charge controllers:
Boost to 28.8V
Float to 27.2V

Smartshunt:
Charged voltage to 28.6V
Tail current: 5% (62.1A)

The goal is to have the smartshunt hit 100% around ±30 minutes when float is achieved.

If you're not getting to float, you have insufficient solar for your loads.

This may be iterative.

Are you running a Valence compatible BMS?

Are you checking that the 2X 12V have highly similar voltages at all times?

Last edited:
Charge controllers:
Boost to 28.8V
Float to 27.2V

Smartshunt:
Charged voltage to 28.6V
Tail current: 5% (62.1A)

The goal is to have the smartshunt hit 100% around 30 minutes before float is achieved.

If you're not getting to float, you have insufficient solar for your loads.

This may be iterative.

Are you running a Valence compatible BMS?

Are you checking that the 2X 12V have highly similar voltages at all times?
From what I know about them as long as they are all connected with the communication cables they take care of keeping voltage the same between them. The external BMS is for if you have them in 100+ volt banks or want to set custom parameters in them. Valances are made to set it and forget it.

I've always been under the impression they need a central "manager" via the U-BMS.

Back