diy solar

diy solar

A baby Lifepo4 for a motorcycle

Sipma02

Hello! I am somewhat struggling to understand what these components do, and would love some help on determining if this will work. I have an older motorcycle, that runs via a stator. The lights are powered via the stator as well. So there is no battery on board. Last summer, I wired in a AC to DC rectifier, which rectifies the AC voltage to a somewhat steady 13v-15v DC output that is dependent on RPMs. Now, I'd like to install a small lifepo4 battery to power some small electronics onboard. (it will not power an electric starter, this motorcycle is kick start only) Since this motorcycle will never see freezing temps, I thought this might work out well.

My plan connect the output of the onboard rectifier to this, set to 14.4 volts.

Then, the output of that charger will go to my future 4s Lifepo4, using some cheap a123 cells I'll buy from ebay. (probably these) Planning on using a 20a or 30a version of this as a BMS.

So my question is: Will that work? My goal is to have a simple, cheap system that I can pretty much totally forget about, but have the benefits of a small, lightweight lifepo4 system. My concern is the variable voltage from the rectifier that really will never shut off, even if the battery is charged. But that is what the BMS is there for, to my understanding. Thoughts?

Back