diy solar

diy solar

A Big Thanks to Big Battery, Joe BoyKey and This Solar Forum

iSwannie

Now that's WATT I am Talking About!
I finally have my solar system in place and working after 12 months of planning and implementing. What do I have: 8220 of installed Solar panels, Growatt 12k Inverter and two Kong Elite battery banks.

I want to personally thank this forum and its members for answering all the questions with details of how to resolve any issues that came up. A special shout out to Joe Boykey on this forum for his patience and support.

Another special shout out to BIG BATTERY. Yeah you heard correctly and I know what you are thinking. However, Big Battery jumped through hoops to help me and I want to give them the credit they deserve. Eric Lundgren made sure I was taken care of. I now have 600ah of Big Battery Kong Elites.

A special shout out to Pierre with Solar Assistant too. We will continue working with Pierre to make his software the go to solar software.

I started out with a 24v Growatt 3000TL, then went to two 48v Growatt 3000TLs (Watts247 thanks Ian) and ended up with the 12k Growatt (Signature Solar thanks James) that gives me growing room. No pun intended. I have learned a lot and plan to continue learning more of solar\battery systems until I die, hopefully another 20 years before that happens :). Here is a screenshot of my system in operation today. Anyone feel free to reach out for advice or contacts for above folks.

Attachments

• Solar Mapping With Text.png
    Solar Mapping With Text.png
    615 KB · Views: 28
That’s great you had a good experience with big battery. Glad it worked out.

A few dozen more reports of outstanding customer service and maybe they can dig themselves out.

I don’t see ever doing business with them.

Hi iamrich,

I love your profile name! The house is a little under 2500sqft single story and I am currently carrying all my 120v. I am in the initial planing to add 220v starting with my 3.5 ton HVAC Trane 2 stage heat pump and variable blower. My solar system is off-grid and entirely mobile except 6600 of the solar panels (275w) on my shop which is mounted 12 panels on west side and 12 panels on east side. I can turn each circuit on or off for the 120v to take away load or add load.

Very cool! I would love to see your setup as it progresses. I am building a house next year about the same size and I am looking for inverters right now. I plan to run 15kw of panels on the house and 9kw on my shop with about 40kwh or storage. I have grid available as well, so I am looking of a good setup that will run the house with zero issues, and run the essentials if the grid goes down. I plan to have two sides of the house, so I will probably run a separate inverter for each side. Everything will be electric, so I need an inverter that will power 2-ton AC/heat pump, range/stove/, water heater, laundry, microwave, lights, tv, computer, for each side of the house and probably all on at the same time knowing me. I need to put together an energy audit as my current house is mostly natural gas.

That sounds like a fun project. I’ll keep the forum posted as I progress further of my learnings.

@iSwannie how big is your array total? How much coming in on PV1 and PV2? Do you have plans to increase the array size?

PV1 has 3300 and PV2 has 4820. Right now I am not able to use all solar available, so don’t plan to increase until I can add 220v load. Hopefully this month.

I'd this for the Growatt 12kw 250v dc VOC or the 150 VOC?

What panels are you using? How many stings? Parallel? What is your voc and isc per pv input?

Growatt 12k 150 Vic. I would recommend the 12k 250 Vic for easier expansion. I don’t really need the 12k either. I probably could have gotten by with the 8k or 10k. Used Trina 275w panels 38 Voc and 8 isc. 3 panels in a string. I have two arrays of 4 strings for 6600 of the 275w. I have another two strings on a trailer of Renogy 270w with same Voc and isc.

Thank you for the shout out! BigBattery truly does appreciate and places a lot of value on the customer’s experience. We strive to provide high quality lithium storage solutions at a disruptive price point. As you witnessed first hand BigBattery’s CEO Eric Lundgren takes this seriously and isn’t afraid to roll up his sleeves to create a solution to a problem.

We welcome you to the BigBattery family iSwannie! Due to our 10yr non-prorated warranty, we are in this together for at least the next 10 years. You know how to reach us and we are eager to live up to your expectations.

Back