diy solar

diy solar

A bit lost

Lillelj

Hello all. I'm new to all this and wanted to get some advice. I'm sure it will be straight forward for all you guru's.

I have a 280ah lifepo4 battery
A 1500w inverter/charger
I can fit 4 renogy 160w solar panels on my RV roof.
To simplify the setup for myself I wanted to use the renogy DC to DC charge controller. It states I can use up to 660w of solar with it. And 25v max pv input.
So if I install them in parallel, and get to 640w. But stayed at their 22.9 Voc.
Would that be fine?
Or am I then going over what the controller and connectors can handle in terms of amps?
I'm a little lost so thanks in advance

To simplify the setup for myself I wanted to use the renogy DC to DC charge controller. It states I can use up to 660w of solar with it. And 25v max pv input.
So if I install them in parallel, and get to 640w. But stayed at their 22.9 Voc.
Would that be fine?
Or am I then going over what the controller and connectors can handle in terms of amps?
I'm a little lost so thanks in advance

You are on the right track. With the Renogy DCC50S, you need to wire all panels in parallel to stay below the 25V max input voltage.

As for amps, you didn't state what the Isc (short circuit current) for your panels is, take Isc and multiply by number of panels in parallel (4). So long as the controllers max solar INPUT current is greater than that number, you are good to go (I believe its 50A but am not positive, check the spec sheet).

You are on the right track. With the Renogy DCC50S, you need to wire all panels in parallel to stay below the 25V max input voltage.

As for amps, you didn't state what the Isc (short circuit current) for your panels is, take Isc and multiply by number of panels in parallel (4). So long as the controllers max solar INPUT current is greater than that number, you are good to go (I believe its 50A but am not positive, check the spec sheet).

Thanks for the reply. The only part I see in the spec sheet is this...
Maximum Charging Current : 50A (25A Alternator / 25A PV)
So it's 50A, but split between the two. The isc for those four panel comes to 33.48!
How on earth would anyone be able to get even close to 660W that they say the controller can handle?

Thanks for the reply. The only part I see in the spec sheet is this...
Maximum Charging Current : 50A (25A Alternator / 25A PV)
So it's 50A, but split between the two. The isc for those four panel comes to 33.48!
How on earth would anyone be able to get even close to 660W that they say the controller can handle?

I believe the 50A is the maximum input for either source, and the 25A is the maximum the controller can supply from either source when both are active. Double check, because this is just my recollection.

Back