diy solar

diy solar

A/C Coupled inverter

shavermcspud

Solar Enthusiast
As you may have seen from my other post, I have just ordered 22kW of PV being fitted to my roof by a National energy company in the UK
They are providing all the PV install, optimisers and grid tie inverter etc

Their price for battery storage however was extortionate to say the least so have decided to retrofit once the PV install is complete.

From the information I have gathered I will need an A/C coupled inverter to make this work as they wont fit me a hybrid inverter unless i also get the batteries from them at the point of install.

The utility company are fitting Solis (Ginlong) Grid tie inverters as that seems to be the preferred choice here
I have found the matching Solis A/C Coupled battery storage inverter https://tinyurl.com/y43lyode which I haven't purchased yet
I have already ordered 32x 280 Lifepo4 cells and all the required bits and pieces.

A few questions.
1) Is this unit designed for what I think it is, I.E using stored energy generated during the day at night time or purley if the grid goes down its kicks in.
1595437311121.png

2) The installation manual makes reference to Lithium batteries Specifically (BYD and Pylon) but not anything about selectable voltage output for Lifepo4 or different lithium chemistries, i presume using the charge profile for Li-Ion is not going to be good for Lifepo4 cells manual is here https://tinyurl.com/y6okldl7

4) finally i will be using the chargery 16s 400amp BMS to keep the cells in check.

Just want to make sure I'm not going bonkers before i drop more money.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, there is an issue with using the solis inverter, whilst it has the function for user defined it won’t connect to any other battery that does not have a communications system that is not compatible with its own.

I tried it and there is no possible solution except to change out the inverter.
I’m currently using a Phocos all grid inverter. And this seems to work fine.

remember to ensure all your batteries are at the same voltage before connecting to your inverter.

I tried it and there is no possible solution except to change out the inverter.
I’m currently using a Phocos all grid inverter. And this seems to work fine.

remember to ensure all your batteries are at the same voltage before connecting to your inverter.

Hi, that was 10 months ago, I ended up going with Sofar ME3000 and using Lifepo4, works exceptionally well.

Another 10 months later :) and I can say that my Solis Hybrid is working fine with DIY battery and BMS from Seplos.
There is currently an issue where Pylon battery selected on both Solis and BMS do not work properly (I will chase this with Seplos) but if I set to user-defined battery, it all works as it should... Charges during the day with the excess solar, and uses it to run loads during darkness.

Back