diy solar

diy solar

A couple of questions regarding solar charging of LiFePO4

MadCityJack

Two questions:
1) I wanted to check if using a Powerwerx MPPT DC to DC solar charger, https://powerwerx.com/mppt-150w-solar-charge-controller, and XTAR 100 watt solar panel is OK with my Battleborn Battery (12V, 100AH); I primarily use this battery inside my SUV for powering my ICECO refrigerator/freezer. I secure the panel to my vehicle windshield and lock it in place when camping. This way, I can usually drive it to a sunny spot and leave it there for a few hours. I know the panel is fine, but I wanted to be clear about my set up. The Powerwerx MPPT provides a constant 14.6V output (actually 14.66 measured with either my multimeter or AiLi Shunt). The Powerwerx charger does go to zero amps when the battery is fully charged.

If the Powerwerx charger is a problem, what would you recommend? I am considering the Victron 75/15 SCC. I have read here a couple of times to avoid PWM charges with Lithium batteries, but I have not seen a consensus on that issue. Which leads to my second question.

2) For my Battleborn in my camper, I use a portable Zamp 90watt panel and it’s PWM controller set to Lithium, it apparently stops charging when the Battleborn battery gets to 13.4 V. Sometimes when camping I add in parallel a 45 watt Zamp set to AGM. Any concerns here? I do use my Victron Blue Smart 15 A “wall” charger when I return from camping to top the battery off/balance cells.

Thank You,

Jack

1) Does not meet BB charger requirements:

1653326687657.png

By holding at 14.6V, it's violating the "Float = 13.6V or lower" tequirement.

Victron 75/15 would be great. Any charger that meets BB requirements is fine. I don't know that I agree with PWM + LFP = bad.

2) 13.4V isn't getting fully charged. I would change settings to comply with BB requirements. 45W Zamp set to AGM may be fine if it meets BB's requirements.

Back