diy solar

diy solar

A Darrieus H-rotor wind turbine experiment

dh0010

According to some literature, the Darrieus vertical axis wind turbine characterized by high efficiency but it is difficult to be self-starting. The following is a related video to describe its characteristics ...

=>Experimental data and description

Last edited:
The problem with VAWT's is that they need a large swept area to become remotely cost effective. In the sense that making it, and improving on it over time will be offset by the power that it actually generates.
Not to mention all wind turbines, wheter HAWT, or VAWT need a huge generator to keep rpm's down as we really do not want one of the blades play lawn dart (I miss you @Porch ) and kill the local wild life.
I can tell you more but I get the sense you are here only promoting something. Based on your activity. I'll apologize upfront if that is not the case but you'll have to demonstrate a bit more commitment and also non commercial interest in my taste in order to be able to pick my brain.
You could also follow my threads though. As all is open source eventually. Please go ahead.

The traditional way to start a Darrieus wind turbine is to use drag blades (Savonius rotors), I did an experiment to demonstrate the starting ability of drag blades and what it sacrifices.

Back