diy solar

diy solar

A four year plan in stages going PV off grid:

OffGridForGood

Catch, make or grow everything you can.
A little over a year ago I got started on my four step plan to go PV battery offgrid for my homestead.
What follows are the steps in the plan and where I am am at so far with it.
A bit of background to set the stage, my wife and I bought 30 acres about 30-mintues drive outside a small northern City 21 years ago. We raised our children and saw them through an education and they are moved on now.
We have a good deep drilled well, septic, large garden, poultry/turkeys/rabbits/hogs/sometimes ducks too.
We heat the house and workshops with wood we cut off our own land, and we have a wood pellet furnace for back-up and so we can go away for short trips.
We have a bandsaw mill and a typical tree will have the lower sections run through the mill, with slabs and edgins going to kindling, and the upper parts going directly to a fire wood processor we built ourselves.
We are surrounded by lakes and public lands open for hunting and fishing, we have two freezers and two refrigerators and we store potatoes/root veggies in a cold room in the workshop, and can other items from the garden. We learned our own meat processing and we vacuum seal this every season. we get fresh eggs every day from "the girls" and we have three acres of pasture for free ranging, which we do every day during spring-summer-fall until the snow comes.
So for us, we had water, wastewater, food and heat all covered.
What was lacking for a very long time was solar so we would not be reliant upon the grid - which living rural goes off line on a regular basis, and more so during winter storms.
The Plan:
We decided that 'going solar' may best (for us) be done in planned stages so we could self finance the equipment, have the time to install everything ourselves, and (most importantly) learn to use it, and what it can and can't do as we built and expanded the system. Since the work shop is 60 feet from the house and has a large roof facing the right way, we decided that is where the PV system should go, and if it didn't look perfect, or ever caught fire, we are a good safe distance away.
Stage One (was done Spring 2021)
First MPP Solar 6048, First Signature Solar 100Ahr 48 volt LiFePO4 battery 100A subpanel - no solar panels.
We did this in February 2021 and used the grid (off peak as we have time of use power at half price off peak) to charge the one battery each night and then used the system to run about half the shop area 'stuff' but no large motor loads, just lights hand electric tools and such. The MPP 6048 with just one unit gave us 120 and 240 volt supply, but we were limited to 3000W per leg and the battery at 100A x 51.2Vdc limited combined loads to about 5000W (yes less than the inverter) but this was a great learning experience. We ran this system through the fall and winter, and did some insulation upgrades so the shop was more easily kept above freezing as this is required for the battery to run properly.
Stage Two (this year)
We installed a second MPP 6048, got our second 100Ahr rack battery (not SS this time, there is a more local to us supplier) and put up 8- 440W PV panels on the south facing roof on a tiltable rack, so we can tilt them up for winter. It was very exciting to watch the incoming PV during those first days after installation, especially since we ran without Solar Panels last year. We added all the rest of the work shop loads to the off-grid panel and left only one utility breaker so we have utilty charging available but being summer, have not needed it once since the PV was up and connected to the invertes.
With the success of the PV we are currently running a 3C-6AWG cable to the house which will power a Reliance 306 unit so we can use all this excess PV power for some loads in the house (Well pump Fridge freezers etc) and this winter if (ok when) the power goes out, we can flip the Reliance MTS swtiches to supply loads frrom the workshop without dragging extension cords out like we ended up doing last winter during a few outages. We have two more 440 panels to go up, and we have 16 280Ahr EVE cells on order to build our own battery sometime in August (if the cells arrive as expected).
Stage Three 2023
The plan is to add more PV on the rest of the south roof and some on our West roof since East is blocked by very tall trees that we don't want to cut down.
We will plan another home made 280 Ahr EVE battery (14.3kW) if the first one works out well this August. As the seasons dictact we will put Reliance 306 loads permanantly on the solar off grid supply (likely not during Dec-Feb) once the solar input is high enough to supply it full time.
Stage Four 2024
A final 280 Ahr home made battery (if all is well with the first two)
and final PV on the west shop roof which will bring our total solar PV panels to 24 - 440W panels.

We are not half-way through the planned stages yet, however we have learned a lot and I thought it may help others to read what worked for us (or at least what we think is working well for us) and may assist others if you can work out a plan in stages that make the project more easily affordable, DIY-able, and learn a few things along the way as you go.
Robert.

Last edited:
Living the dream!
Yeah! trying our best, for twenty years to get to this stage, while we raised our family.
In the past before 'all-in-one' Inverters and lithium iron phosphate batteries, the numbers just didn't work for us. That all changed pretty recently, and the support from the forum, youtubers, greater offerings from the market have seemed to all come together. Were pretty pumped about how it is going. Thanks.

Reactions: Zwy
Since posting in July, we finished the Critical Loads Panel in the house. We used a Reliance 306 unit which gives us 30A, 6 circuits -couple of 20A and four 15A with the 20's able to be joined for 2P loads, but we don't have any two pole loads since the well pump is 120 volt, so we use all 1P.
Using an amp meter and a kilowatt we had tested the in-rush and power consumption for each of our critical items. I was surprised to see a pretty high in-rush on the refrigerator when it cycles. We split up the loads to put more or less equal on each leg of the Reliance, and for my spouse, we put the highest priority load as "A", the second highest as "B" etc, just so it is simple in a power outage to flip on the Manual Transfer Switches in order from left to right, waiting a minute between each. For our system the main critical load is the furnace fan, which moves our heat throughout the house from a wood furnace unit during heating season, and A/C cooling during cooling season. Next is our well pump, then the two freezers, and then the main fridge. Lastly are a dedicated circuit for one recepticle in the kitchen and lights, plus the lights for the bathroom.
As we are still in the long daylight part of the year in Canada, we were pretty pleased to see our system able to power the workshop, run all the house critical loads and charge the battery bank to 100% each day. This will not last when we get close to November (our worst solar month actually) but it is nice for now to cut some of the house loads off from the utility reducing our bills a bit, and having fun doing it.
Can hardly wait for the 280Ah cells to come in.

We did well this year and put a few (more) dollars into moving up the schedule on the 'four year plan' which looks like it will be done in three years.
The DIY battery cells from August worked out well, and we ordered a second set that arrived in late October. With the original two server racks plus two DIY 280Ahr cells in 16S we have nearly 39kW of battery storage now, just in time for our worst PV month - November. It was good timing as the new battery was only installed a week when we got hit with freak wind-storm that took out the utility for about 36hours. Using the Reliance 306 we effortlessly turned the manual switches for the fridge and freezers, lights and the well pump, all good! and no generator needed as we had enough battery for the short outage. (A long outage for us is 3-4 days).
One PV panel was damaged during shipping and we got a (free) replacement, and kept the damaged panel too. This damaged panel has been handy to have for testing a few potential roof areas, and angles, such as our West Shop roof. The West roof faces 10-degrees South of true West, and would be a good late day PV area during half the year, but disapointing for the other half it seems.
Armed with this insight, we built a new car-port for my wife's daily-driver and my pick-up truck, and yes the car-port was designed to provide a space for another 16PV panels facing south. It seemed if we were going to pay for 16 more PV panels, they may as well face a direction that works all year long. We beat the weather and had the car-port up before snow, but the PV can wait for spring on this area.
Spring 2023 we will order 16-440W PV panels, and one (last?) DIY 280Ahr 16-S battery cells, and then I think we will see how it all does before we plan any further changes...I installed two 50A-240 plugs on the car-port, one fed from utilty main panel, and one from the off-grid shop panel...I call it EV-Ready...
Perhaps we still have a four year plan afterall.

So anyone have experience with EV chargers? I am doing the research part, looking for two chargers that will go into the carport, one for a F150 and the other for a Volvo SUV. So far I have installed the wire and a 50A circuit to each charger location. The EV chargers don't need to have 14-50 plug ends, it would be preferable to wire directly without a plug end since these will stay put in the carport.
There seems to be a wide range of chargers out there, many seem overpriced for what they do. Not too keen on a bunch of 'control from your phone' features, just want a durable unit, prefer a narrow profile as these are going to be mounted on the car port columns onto a steel backer plate welded to the columns, if they can be set to turn on when off-peak power kicks in, that would be a useful feature, although the vehicle itself will have this feature as well. Mostly want the cost to be sensible since x2, while trying to avoid junk.

I installed a generator plug (30A 240v) on a Manual Transfor Switch (MTS) for charging the batteries if a storm has knocked out the utiltiy, and bought an 8kW generator and heavy cord to go with it. With some help from the forum (Filter Guy especially) sorted out the neutral and grounding loops issues, which was complex given the twin MPP6048's, Reliance CLP, utility charging, and now Genset in the system.
I installed an IotaWatt unit to monitor the current flowing in the Solar, CLP supply, workshop, and the major loads from the solar subpanel. This a lot of fun to play with.

And now that it's 2023 some new equipment is on order:
I ordered a referbished Grizzl-E 40A EV charger with Aluminum case - will see how this unit looks before a second one, both are for the Carport.
I ordered 16 more 280Ahr cells for a third DIY battery - this will bring the battery cabinet up to 53kWh capacity, and will fill the last rack space.
I ordered 6 more Canadian Solar 440W bifacial halfcut panels - these will go on the Carport, and like the others, will tilt between 30 /60 degrees, and will bring my PV total to 9.7kW from the current 7kW.
One more item, to be ordered in March will be a new HWT - Rheem 50Gal Heatpump HWT.

I have also done some playing with a single PV panel and 12-volt separate system that I use for charging automotive batteries and my I-Phone (lol)
And a separate mobile 24v DC system I use for areas far from my buildings on the homestead, in the greenhouse, and this summer will test it out in our RV at the lake. This unit is an MPP 2724 and has outlet plugs right on the side of the inverter, which is very handy for the mobile application. Using with Auto batteries in series right now, but thinking about a set of 8 260Ah forklift cells in the tough metal cases those have for a DIY battery version.

Yeah, been haveing lots of fun, Utility has gone down three times since start of winter here, but no 'outages' at our home and business, the solar/battery system works perfectly.

Well it is September now, and for anyone interested in our solar jouney, here is our update.
We decided to pull the trigger on a third MPP 6048 earlier this year, and although we were originally going to put it on a shelf as a spare, naw we installed it instead.
The 30A 240 CLP has impressed my spouse so much, we upgraded to a complete subpanel in the house fed from the shop off grid panel. The items added to this subpanel are basically always on solar - or batteries charged off peak - and unlike the CLP do not switch back and forth. We thought about doing the same with the CLP items, but decided we would just leave this alone, it may be handy to just flip a few switchs and move the furnace/well pump/fridges/freezers back to the utility if the solar equipment had some unexpected failure.
Main items from the house added to the offgrid side are the electric dryer and the electric HWT.
Adding the third MPP has increased the output to 19kW (my offical solar tester has been able to hit just short of 17kW one day) and this came at a cost of more standby idle consumption as we knew. I have monitored the consumption and each MPP 6048 is using 75W so x3 this is 225W steady consumption.
The three MPP 6048's are all wired to common buses feeding the solar load centre, and they are all connected to one another with comms and load sharing cables and work well together to supply the shop and now most of the house. (we left the double oven on the utility for now, maybe if we get more batteries we will revisit that last big AC load). Each 6048 is capable of 27.3A output 240v, and combined we have 81.9A available, although we do keep an eye on the loads and try to be less than 80% of the rated output as a normal operating max. ie 16kW. Three 6048's is the max number of parallel units for single phase, and about the max I can tollerate for self-consumption.
I have been following along the threads on the new EG4 18kpv (12K) units and am feeling like our next expansion will be to go with two 12k units - maybe that model or similar if some other new equipment comes along over the next couple of years. That would move us up to 24kW output which is 100A 240vAC, and would cut that self-consumption number - It would be like adding 1kW of new solar panels without having to add any solar panels!

Speaking of PV panels, we are currently considering six new 550 JA panels - yeah back to that West shop roof that we had rejected last year, but this time the twist is to make them tilt South even though they are on the west roof, and yeah space the rows out for December's long shadows. These panels are available at a low price point (for us) locally and I think we will jump on it, just in time for November's crappy solar, and to make me feel better about that new 75W 24-7 load I decided to add this summer, called Inverter #3.

Edit: and some 304Ah cells should be in soon for the next DIY 16S pack, JK BMS is on the shelf waiting, figured better get this next pack built before dark and cloudy November. This will be battery #6, and will bring the total ESS to 68kWh.

Last edited:
Back