diy solar

diy solar

A generator horror story

Hello, fellow solar enthusiasts.
I bought a Generac 2 KW true sinus inverter generator a very nice little thing was happy whit it till i connected it to my solar system trough the grid tied inverter with a double pole switch over switch .
Works fine for 3 minutes and YEP the inverter in the generator blow up ,new part not available at the moment and is terrible expensive.
Bought a standard 3 KW generator for less than a new part for the Generac but it is not a trues sinus gen, no problem bought a Aims 20 A 48 V battery charger connected it to the gen and AGM battery bank and after 3 minutes working in parallel with the Outback MP80 controller it start flashing red overload an stop working for ever..
1) My Outback inverter will not work with generators at all according outback
2) Charging the battery bank with an separate Aims charger on a generator in parallel with the MP 80 charger controller seems not working also ( not sure if the Aims charger is a bad product )
After buying 2 generators and a 20 Amps charger i still at zero result !
I worked my whole life whit electronics and power systems but now i can really use some advise .
For the money i have spend now i could have a big Lithium bank .( even in Mexico )
The outback system is still working perfect the problem could be the very low internal resistance of the AGM bank and the the bad designed overload protection in the Generac and Aims charger due the short in rush current.
Please advise .
I need a GOOD 48 V battery charger what will work on a standard gen set in parralel with the Outback MP80

Last edited:
I have this charger on order. Although my battery will get the 12v version. There are larger and smaller available depending on available power and budget.

Although I find it odd that the 20 amp charger did not work if connected direct from generator to battery.
The overload circuit of the AIMS is bad designed , charging my bank while the inverter is working make the AIMS going into fail due the invereter ask at moments more than the Aims can deliver but that has to come from the bank ,the Aims must absolute stops at 20 A and left the rest of necessary power to the bank, it even let my 3 KW gen set trip on overload !!!!
Looking now for a better designed Charger, waiting now for answers for this one .

That charger may require 2350 apparent watts of power to drive it. The 3kW should not overload but the 2kW is marginal at best. Are those the surge spec or the rated spec?

That charger may require 2350 apparent watts of power to drive it. The 3kW should not overload but the 2kW is marginal at best. Are those the surge spec or the rated spec?
2800 nominal , peak 3000
The Aims give 18 A at 48 V plenty of headroom

Any chance the PM3 is the 220v version?

Some of these generators that produce 220v 2800w are great but each outlet may only provide 110v 1400w output (50%).
Need to verify full 2800 is available at each 110v connector. Actually that would exceed the connector rating so I further suspect only 1400 is available.

Any chance the PM3 is the 220v version?

Some of these generators that produce 220v 2800w are great but each outlet may only provide 110v 1400w output (50%).
Need to verify full 2800 is available at each 110v connector. Actually that would exceed the connector rating so I further suspect only 1400 is available.
Yep it is a 110/220 Version ,GREAT !, never tought about that, will check it, many thanks for the info

I have read MX can be difficult. Read some near the border will have a buddy with a US address to ship and come visit when needed.
I wish free trade was less hassle in other parts of the world. I suppose we have it easy here. Best of luck.

I have read MX can be difficult. Read some near the border will have a buddy with a US address to ship and come visit when needed.
I wish free trade was less hassle in other parts of the world. I suppose we have it easy here. Best of luck.
This is on his way :
The 120/220 V version
Very fast and good service so far

Back