diy solar

diy solar

A getting my feet wet system….

Scott Thornley

So, currently living off grid, getting by using a combustion inverter that is quite overkill for my needs (7kw/240v) because it was a reasonably priced 240V inverter that will most likely come in handy thanks to California power woes. California is now requiring solar for all new construction, but local solar co’s are all about grid tied or huge dollar off grid, and none that I’ve talked to wanted to sell me panels that could be repurposed later for the eventual home. But living in a trailer for the next 5 months, plus future plans has me thinking of building a small, yet expandable off grid system. I could, if desired, limit my power consumption to one major appliance at a time, be that well pump or microwave - something in the 1500w ballpark. No power meter on the genny, so I don’t know max amperage or average for that matter. But it is literally running at low levels for a maximum of two hours a day. Most of that time is at idle or barely above. And if I don’t run the vacuum or microwave it’s less than an hour a day.

So I’m thinking of a two stage build - 120v at first for the trailer, then 240v split phase tobe able to run the well pump later.

Any big drawbacks to starting with an eg4 3kw 48v all in one, 48v 100 ah battery, and 4 Renogy 450w panels from Home Depot ( only because I don’t want to buy and ship 10 panels that cant be used later)? This should easily cover my daily domestic needs sans well pump, and bringing on well pump later would mean just adding a second eg4 all in one later.

Additional info:
I can locate the inverter one 100’ extension cord length from either pump control box or trailer. Pump is 3/4 hp submerged. The inverter and battery would be installed into a dedicated “power cabinet’, as I’m sure neither would be weatherproof.

I think you have a pretty good plan there, I would probably go with different panels though.
( only because I don’t want to buy and ship 10 panels that cant be used later)?
I don't see why you can't use the panels for later, solar panels last decades to centuries and are extremely reusable. I would go with used panels from Santan solar because they're so much cheaper. Or if you want to go new then you can take a look at this guide: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/300w-solar-panels.html. And when factoring in your costs don't forget wires, fuses, circuit breakers, etc.

Back