diy solar

diy solar

A good experience with Shenzen-Basen.

rickst29

Solar Enthusiast
I ordered 4 "120Ah" cells from Basen at the end of March 2021, and they arrived about 10 days ago. I had received a matching Daly 4S BMS about earlier, due to faster shipping. After balancing the cells and building the battery pack, I'm seeing surprisingly GOOD performance. These were CATL cells, and they were pretty evenly matched. Even the "lagard" cell measured 121Ah on my resistor and coulomb-counter load test, and the 3 "good ones" were all around 124Ah.

I measured only from 3.650v, down to 3.000v each. I then applied a factor of "there's still another 8.5%, which I didn't utilize" to derive these figures. The cells are all above spec, and temps remained great through the entire test process and re-charge. My only minor complaints with the two Basen shipments (the cells came by sea to the Port of LA, while the BMS came by air freight through Chicago much more quickly) were:
  1. Although it was programmed for LFP batteries at 12.8v, the BMS had "default" parameter values which were very bad. Fortunately, I was able to re-program all the bad parameters via the Android App and Bluetooth Interface (although I maybe don't know what I'nm doing with some of those parameters).
  2. I had to "kick" them a couple of times with messages, in order to obtain the name of the ship on which the cells were being transported. (But they in turn had to "kick" their supplier, to obtain that container ship name). From there, tracking was pretty easy - allowing for about a week of mysterious "customs", "container delivery", and "container unloading" delays before it arrived at the USA ground shipping recipient. Eminently trackable, using the name of the ship.
  3. The supplied bus bars were a bit too thin and narrow for 120Ah cells, having very poor coverage on the cell terminal contact pads. I replaced them with segments of 3/4" aluminum bar segments, with a total height of around 6.35mm.
I am delighted with my shopping experience and prices, even though I am aware of issues with other buyers of larger cells from Basen.

Last edited:
Back