diy solar

diy solar

A Good Inverter To Power 1, or 2 Smallish Pumps?

Prince Of Darkness

As a part of LiPo backup, for an off grid FLA battery bank, am looking for an additional inverter/charger to allow charging and discharging the the LiPo battery bank.

The FLAs (and almost all of the rest of the system) are in their 17 th year of continuous, off grid service.

The LiPo batteries are Trophys, for about 33 kWh (660 Ah), so Growatt has been suggested as the most likely brand to possibly be able to communicate with these batteries.

The present strategy, is to completely isolate the 48 V FLAs from the Trophys. And, to charge them from the 240 VAC output of the main inverters (and FLAs), from the added inverter/charger, and, to manually run either one of the 240 VAC pumps. Pump #1 is a deep well pump, 3/4 HP, with a datasheet LRA of about 35 A AC, pump #2 is a 3/4 HP jet pump (LRA=unknown).

In time, the FLAs will die, and the Trophy batteries will become the main battery bank.

FYI, the present Inverter/chargers for the FLAs are a pair of Xantrex SW Plus 5548s, stacked for 240 VAC.
There is no present plan to add any PVs into the new inverter/charger.

There would be two sources of power for a possible GW inverter -- 240 VAC, and LiPO battery, so had wondered about the Growatt 5 kW ES, as, there would not be any need for 120 VAC output.

Am trying to avoid a LF inverter, primarily, because it would probably require Motor Freight shipment, and, recently, two separate FedEx Freight shipments were horribly trashed (both battery shipments, with no known damage to the cargo) -- pallets broken, tie straps, flapping in the breeze, dented boxes, etc. Unimpressive

Thanks for guidance, POD, in Airid Central CA

I am using Growatt SPF 5000 ES and on one phase I have 2 pumps rated at 1650W 230V each.
Activating both at the same time I range around 50-60% usage on that inverter.
I am going to move one pump to inverter 2 just to spread the loads a little (have 3 inv. in 3-phase setup).
Pumps generally works fine with the Growatts.
Also have a 2HP pump (3-phase, 1200Wx3) from the well, also no problem with this setup.

Thank you, @LydMekk, for noting your experience with the GW SPF 5000ES inverters.

This was the way that I was leaning, but, not in stock at SS, yet.

Think that three phase motors are relatively easy to start, but the pumps here are single phase, capacitor-start.

Thanks again, POD

Back