diy solar

diy solar

A little frustrated after upgrading to 24 volts Growatt 3000

Thank you, and that is the reason why I keep considering this option. More stored energy will benefit my load. The series arrangement is keeping me at 2,560 watt hour option. But also is giving me the benefit of solar energized appliances during sun hours, not bad at all.

You have me so confused now as to whether you understand what's going on or not?

You are not gaining any watt hours by changing the voltage of the setup via wiring in series to get 24V or paralell to get 12 Volts.

You have Qty (2) 12 Volt, 200 Amp hour batteries. Each battery is 12Volts X 200ah = 2400Wh or whatever. You have lithium so the nominal voltage is slightly higher and the manufacturer says each battery is in fact 2560Wwh or 200 amp hours at 12.8 volts. Ok?

So you have a 12.8 volt 200 AMP HOUR battery. 12.8 X 200 = 2560 Watt hours each

You have two of these batteries so you have a total of 5120 Watt hours.

If you put the two batteries in series, they become 1 battery bank @ 25.6 volts at 200 amp hours which is 5120 Watt Hours.

If you put them parralell, you have 1 battery bank with 400 AMP hours at 12.8 volts for a total of 5120 Watt Hours.

When batteries are in parallel their amp-hour increase. This means more runtime. Isn’t it?
Amp hours is NOT a measure of energy storage. Energy storage is a product of amp hours and voltage.

Series- voltage is added together. Amperage stays the same.
Parallel- Amperage is added together. Voltage stays the same.
In either case wattage is constant.

You have Qty (2) 12 Volt, 200 Amp hour batteries. Each battery is 12Volts X 200ah = 2400Wh or whatever. You have lithium so the nominal voltage is slightly higher and the manufacturer says each battery is in fact 2560Wwh or 200 amp hours at 12.8 volts. Ok?

So you have a 12.8 volt 200 AMP HOUR battery. 12.8 X 200 = 2560 Watt hours each

You have two of these batteries so you have a total of 5120 Watt hours.

If you put the two batteries in series, they become 1 battery bank @ 25.6 volts at 200 amp hours which is 5120 Watt Hours.

If you put them parralell, you have 1 battery bank with 400 AMP hours at 12.8 volts for a total of 5120 Watt Hours.
Ok, I got it. Your math is clear and helped me to understand that watt hours remain the same in both scenarios. For which I appreciate your patience and your clear explanations. I learned one more thing, before Google anything about solar, I’ll come to this helpful forum. You hit the nail in the head, Thank you all. ?

Thank you, and that is the reason why I keep considering this option. More stored energy will benefit my load. The series arrangement is keeping me at 2,560 watt hour option. But also is giving me the benefit of solar energized appliances during sun hours, not bad at all.
You don't gain any watt hours, series vs parallel.

A 24V system however it is more efficient, fewer watts converted to heat losses and you gain the ability to power higher wattage loads. For example, running a 3000 watt inverter at full load on 12V is 250A while a 3000 watt inverter on 24V is 125A.

You don't gain any watt hours, series vs parallel.

A 24V system however it is more efficient, fewer watts converted to heat losses and you gain the ability to power higher wattage loads. For example, running a 3000 watt inverter at full load on 12V is 250A while a 3000 watt inverter on 24V is 125A.
Yes, you’re right. I will keep my 3k inverter. Thanks for your comment.

When batteries are in parallel their amp-hour increase. This means more runtime. Isn’t it?

Car spark plugs run at ~12.000 V !! it hurts but a spark won't kill you. Wall outlet is 110V (usa?) but in CAN kill you.

This is a crude simplification but it might work:
Let's think energy as water. Your needs are expressed in gallons per minute, Amount of water that flows over a time span. You can have a really BIG pipe that water flows slowly and unrestricted, or you could have a tiny hose with lot of pressure that squirts a stream up to 3m ! ... the thing is, that it might be the case that if you have to fill a bucket, both scenarios may require the same amount of time. What matters is "amount of water moved in a certain time range"... And you cannot tell which scenario moves more water by watching the pipe size alone (or the water speed/pressure alone either)
So, the size or section of the pipe is current (Amps). The pressure/Speed of the flow is voltage. The flow (what matters!) is Power (Watts!)

The benefit, as was already told, is that by rising pressure (voltage) you may save money on smaller (cheaper) pipes (wiring, losses) while delivering the same flow (Watts!).

Hope it helps!

Car spark plugs run at ~12.000 V !! it hurts but a spark won't kill you. Wall outlet is 110V (usa?) but in CAN kill you.

This is a crude simplification but it might work:
Let's think energy as water. Your needs are expressed in gallons per minute, Amount of water that flows over a time span. You can have a really BIG pipe that water flows slowly and unrestricted, or you could have a tiny hose with lot of pressure that squirts a stream up to 3m ! ... the thing is, that it might be the case that if you have to fill a bucket, both scenarios may require the same amount of time. What matters is "amount of water moved in a certain time range"... And you cannot tell which scenario moves more water by watching the pipe size alone (or the water speed/pressure alone either)
So, the size or section of the pipe is current (Amps). The pressure/Speed of the flow is voltage. The flow (what matters!) is Power (Watts!)

The benefit, as was already told, is that by rising pressure (voltage) you may save money on smaller (cheaper) pipes (wiring, losses) while delivering the same flow (Watts!).

Hope it helps!
Great , thanks for your post. It’s been interesting.

Back