diy solar

diy solar

A need for gizmos not seen so far..?

kanelr

HI.
We have a trace SW4024.
1-One feature is a search mode where the inverter , instead of being on. is idling, looking for reasons to be on, and sends out a tiny search pulse looking for a load request (my own lingo sorry). When you switch on a light it knows and quickly inverts. This method can save power. Thats great but our sump pump has a micro circuit looking for power failures as it awaits its own chance to run free and pump water. This circuit is getting confused by the every 16 second search pulse from the inverter. I am thinking some kind of big capacitor could be used to store just enough energy in paralell with that sump processor to keep it "normal" between pulses. Ideas? We won't usually have that sump on the batteries but is should be "right" if/when needed.
2-same feature "search mode" the lowest search load it will trigger from is 20 watts. One or more rooms has less than that due to good led bulbs. those rooms won't turn on the inverter unless you add some load like switching on two rooms at first. Is there, can we i someone make a false load that dissappears in a second or two? Maybe even like those flasher buttons you can screw in under a light bulb base.... but just a load that opens up with a snap disk...

Last edited:
Next one
3-our PV array is facing South and our 6/12 roof pitch has been a good average ecliptic "aim" for the panels. I am adding 4 more and was going to copy the existing mounts, which have not budged or changed in 20 years of tornado "ish" Midwest winds. I noticed that the West flat of our hip roof could catch about 2 extra hours of good sun, so I thought about putting two of the four new panels over there. They would not get good noon sun so their output, if all panels were tied together would have a reduced average from the lower early sun auxilary West panels. (is that correct?). So if I were ever going to make a mount that tilts at a certain time of afternoon and then back at night this would be the time. Was thinking of powering a skylight sash opener motor or something, maybe have that operate a casement window crank treating the panels much like the motion of casements or awning windows...just brainstorming. I think maybe 20 degrees would be ok. Has anyone done this ?

Back