diy solar

diy solar

A novice's first impressions on EG4 products

wdwtx2.0

Solar Enthusiast
As a solar novice, here are some of my first impressions of the EG4 6000 EX Inverter/Charger, the LL V2 batteries, and the battery racks.

First, to set the stage, I recently purchased 2 ea. 6000 EXs, 6 ea. LL V2 batteries w/rack, 6 ea. LP4 batteries w/rack, and a Chargeverter (not arrived yet).
Also got battery wiring and breakers and panel disconnects.

My property is totally off grid for now, I visit on weekends. Power is readily available at the road. I have had a small 12V PV system for several years powered by a few panels, a 1200AH battery, a Midnite Solar Kid charge controller, and an inverter. I used a Honda EU 3000I generator for air conditioning and electric heat needs.
The inverter powered the small loads.
I have a small cabin and a shed for my RV.
In the near future, I will build a house.
During the build, I will be using lots of 120V power equipment, and fairly unbalanced loads, so I decided to go with low frequency split phase equipment.

I just recently set up 1 ea. 6000 EX, and the rack of LL V2 batteries.
They feed my main panel, which powers my buildings.
I do not have any solar panels yet. I just charge the batteries with an 8000w generator through the 6000 EX until I get my Chargeverter.

I plan to build a rack of 8S2P 460W bifacial panels per EG4 inverter in the very near future.
When I get the second rack of panels built, I will install the second 6000 EX, the rack of LP4 batteries, and parallel everything together.
That should suffice until I move into the house.

When I get the house built, I plan on using a Sol-Ark 15K to power my main panel, and the 6000 EXs, (fed by the Sol-Ark/main panel) to power my resistive load subpanel. It will power quite a few pumps, refrigeration, and HVAC units.
I will have 2 ea. LL V2 battery racks for the Sol-Ark, and the LP4 battery rack for the EG4 Inverters.
2 arrays of panels for the EG4s, and 3 arrays for the Sol-Ark.

Now, my impressions of the components.

I have decades of experience as a licensed industrial/commercial maintenance electrician & HVAC/R service technician. My DC electrical experience is light, and my solar experience is beginner level.

The battery racks seem functional, though there could be more room between the busses and the batteries for routing large cables. The alignment of the battery mounting holes is barely adequate. They seem solid.

The LL V2 batteries could be a little easier to attach battery cables, and comm cables. The LP4 batteries were easier to wire.

The 6000 EX is extremely annoying to wire up.
The screws that hold on the access panel are microscopic, and my fingers are not as dexterous as they once were. I promptly dropped/lost one.
The wiring area is infuriating. You get a few measly inches to work in. They could have made it so you can actually get your fingers in there to get the wires into the wire terminals. When you use conduit, you have about an inch to bend 4 ea. 8AWG wires to fit the terminals. Not easy. Did I mention the clumsy fingers?
The Program 14 “EG4” parameters for the batteries did not do what the manual said. I got battery voltage instead of percentage.
I ended up using the “USE” setting.
Program 9 appears to show that it is possible to back feed to the grid, though it is not certified to do so in the U.S.
Program 9 actually does not even show up in the menu, and SS treats it like black magic when you ask about it.

I am not experienced enough to comment on the functionality of anything yet.

The manuals for the batteries, and controllers were lacking in the extreme.
EG4 appears to be geared to entry level budget/beginner level DIY users.
We are the people who need good manuals the most.
Give complete, accurate information. Please.
These do not.
A good manual will cut down on the tech. requests, so it is in EG4's/SS's best interest to provide it.

I can afford more expensive controllers, but these looked adequate for my current needs. I don't like spending money unnecessarily.
Time will tell if I stay satisfied, as my experience level increases.

I researched the products before buying, and my expectations were not “world-class-at-budget-price”.
I got a budget product at a budget price, but I am still disappointed with the poorly written manuals.

Signature Solar responded to every tech request I sent. Not immediately, but they did reply.
The replies were helpful, but I did disagree with their advice for the size buss to parallel the battery racks.

Overall, I started with moderate expectations, and other than the manuals, I have not been too disappointed yet.
Nothing has blown up so far. That's always a plus.
Hopefully, I will like them better as I learn more.

Something you may not be aware of:

The two units will burn 160W+ all the time in idle consumption just by being on. That's 3.84kWh/day or about 74% of one of your batteries.

Additionally, the PV needed to replace that idle burn is about 700W if you have really good sun, so the first 700W of your PV is just feeding the inverter.

It's the hidden cost of these cheap units. Yes, you still come out ahead $-wise vs. Tier 1 hardware.

If you're successfully charging via the inverter/charger, why did you get a Chargeverter?

The two units will burn 160W+ all the time in idle consumption just by being on. That's 3.84kWh/day or about 74% of one of your batteries.

Additionally, the PV needed to replace that idle burn is about 700W if you have really good sun, so the first 700W of your PV is just feeding the inverter.

It's the hidden cost of these cheap units. Yes, you still come out ahead $-wise vs. Tier 1 hardware.

If you're successfully charging via the inverter/charger, why did you get a Chargeverter?
Note- Edited to correct my math.
Yes, I know about the idle consumption.
I have 61.44kWh of battery, so 3.84kWh/day is not a problem.
I actually expect a little more idle draw.
Additionally, the panels I will have should more than power my current needs.
They will produce a nominal 14.72kW (MOL), plus a bifacial gain.
Obviously they will not produce full power most of the time, but they should more than cover me.
I don't have solar panels yet, so I use a NOT very quiet 8000W 240V generator to charge the batteries through the inverter.
I got the Chargeverter because it was free. However, I will gladly use it when it arrives.
I would have bought it anyway, just as a backup.
I will use it with my very quiet 120V Honda inverter generator which is NOT able to power my split phase 6000 EX.

Last edited:
Running the inverter without the benefit of solar panels yet, I am beginning to see what you mean.
Batteries dropping a little faster than I expected.
I still have lots of battery capacity for my loads, but still....
Got the PV array upright pipes in the ground, and conduit in the trench before my backhoe blew a hydraulic cylinder seal.
Need to work on the horizontal pipes, and the racking next trip.
Hopefully will have solar panels in a few more weekend visits.
Can't come soon enough.
BTW just got the Chargeverter finally, and LOVE it.
100A @ 57V on demand. Oh yeah.

It's a lot cheaper to make up the idle current with solar and battery capacity than purchase the overpriced stuff IMO.
This is only viable if you have space for extra panels, or the MPPT is large enough for your needs. If your roof or ground mount can only be so big, and you are limited on PV, then saving extra watt really adds up.

One weekend closer to producing PV power.
Got the rack finished, IronRidge rails installed, and fuse/disconnect box installed, and conduit inside the building.
Hopefully next weekend, I will install the panels, and wire them into the SCC. Definitely ready to get off the generator for battery charging.DSC09146.JPGDSC09158.JPGDSC09162.JPG

As Capt Kirk used to say “ maybe..maybe not”…

I've run the numbers. On an absolute numbers basis, it's true. The cheap stuff loses some it's perceived value, but the total cost is still lower:

1687748877980.png

$120 in savings isn't much... :)

Hallelujah.
One array down. Several to go.
Long weekend, but finally producing power without the generator.
I dabble in amateur astronomy and there's a rule that the purchase of a new telescope brings on 5 cloudy nights. Looking at your sky, the same applies to solar panels. LOL
Nice looking mount.

Reactions: JRH
I believe there is a theory that installing solar panels in your backyard effects your weather pattern and you have more cloudy days. Must be true cause at present with nearly 15 hours from sunrise to sunset I have not been able to fully charge my batteries for about 5 days.

Reactions: JRH
I believe there is a theory that installing solar panels in your backyard affects your weather pattern and you have more cloudy days. Must be true cause at present with nearly 15 hours from sunrise to sunset I have not been able to fully charge my batteries for about 5 days.
That’s why you’re supposed to plant a garden next to them. That will prevent cloudy rainy days.

I've run the numbers. On an absolute numbers basis, it's true. The cheap stuff loses some it's perceived value, but the total cost is still lower:

View attachment 154402

$120 in savings isn't much... :)
I certainly get you point ..and you are correct…your right about the amount of savings isn’t a lot…

Out if necessity I have had to buy what I could afford to move forward in life many times…and sometimes ,for some reasons ,that was all I needed to complete the task…

with that said,
I guess I was speaking more philosophically about pride of ownership, investing in great products as they generally perform better and with less issues , BUT…lastly , if at all possible I would rather try to live life like Clark Griswald than Cousin Eddie…but I love em both…?

P.S. Once again , thanks for your past help…system is runnin great…batts are staying balenced..Gona start expanding panels and stuff soon.
J.

I dabble in amateur astronomy and there's a rule that the purchase of a new telescope brings on 5 cloudy nights. Looking at your sky, the same applies to solar panels. LOL
Nice looking mount.
I believe there is a theory that installing solar panels in your backyard effects your weather pattern and you have more cloudy days. Must be true cause at present with nearly 15 hours from sunrise to sunset I have not been able to fully charge my batteries for about 5 days.
We were there Friday through Tuesday.
Worked like dogs getting them mounted, wired, fused and finally running Sunday afternoon.
Monday was a good sunny day until the afternoon.
Starting early morning of the 4th, thunderstorms all AM. Zero PV.
Got sun back just after noon.
Batteries were almost full when I left.
Life is good.

That’s why you’re supposed to plant a garden next to them. That will prevent cloudy rainy days.
I completely forgot that I needed to cut some trees down on the west side of the array, and discovered some that were shading the AM sun.
Trees. How can you overlook trees directly blocking the evening sun.... I blame the heat and long days.
Had a lot of chainsaw time I did not plan on.
Eventually all trees anywhere near the arrays will be gone.

Back