diy solar

diy solar

A quick question before placing order...280 amp hr cells from Xuba

shaymcquaid

Hello and thanks for looking,

I am ordering
https://f2rq3.app.goo.gl?link=https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=62401757288&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D62401757288%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer&apn=com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon&ibi=com.alibaba.sourcing&isi=503451073&amv=69
My plan is to run 16 cells as a pair of 12v banks in parallel to make a large 24v battery for solar in a school bus. I’m novice but I feel this is right approach. But before I make an expensive mistake I’d like to solicit a few opinions. Thanks in advance?

-Shay

i was planning to do the same, but i started with only 8 (200Amp is already a lot) . will expand to 16 if all is ok and battery still available at that price.
I do not think these battery are made for fast/high discharge.

i was planning to do the same, but i started with only 8 (200Amp is already a lot) . will expand to 16 if all is ok and battery still available at that price.
I do not think these battery are made for fast/high discharge.

Would you consider an off grid school bus a high/fast discharge rate scenario? Home size appliances and the occasionally running a mini split air conditioner? Thx

(assuming we speak on 24V here) 200A is a lot especially if you go for parallel, then 400A, it is huge for a mobile system.
I say 200A because the battery is 280, but since you usually keep a margin for not discharging too deep, let's assume 200.
the problem is more , how do you will charge them ?
because roof space for panel on a bus is limited and for 200A, you need at least 50 for charging. (consider you will have at best the equivalent of 4-5 hours to charge the battery (and eventually run your loads at the same time).
if you just run a TV, some led lights, a fridge and make a coffee or two, that is ok.
running an AC, yes, 400A would be preferrable but that make the charge problem even bigger.
depends also you lifestyle, if you go to sleep late, your active zone will be more on the battery side than on the panel side.
For people leaving almost over the full day, a small battery just to watch TV, surf on internet with a small computer, and have some light is ok
if you play computer games all the night on your monster PC with big 32" screen with AC running, that is another story.
if you can run kitchen (cooking, making hot water) on gas, then your need for electricity will drastically decrease.

My project for these batteries is to run an MPP 2400W (so 100A under 24V) , then at best i should run the batteries at 100A.
if i would need more, you would probably either swap the MPP for a 5000W model and switch to 48V (so i can keep wiring)
or put a 2nd 2400W MPP and duplicate the installation with eventually syncing both MPP together (need an optional board).

Last edited:
Back