diy solar

diy solar

A19 Edison screw base

Like someone said before, DC won't travel well over solid wires and long distances, but I plugged in a 13v input (about battery voltage) and a 100 foot run, over 16 awg solid wire, with a 10 watt load, into a calculator.
Why do you think DC won't travel well over solid wires and long distances?
I'm pretty sure copper has the same resistance whether solid or stranded.

Why do you think DC won't travel well over solid wires and long distances?
I'm pretty sure copper has the same resistance whether solid or stranded.
I could be completely wrong about that. I was under the impression that it was best practice to use stranded copper for DC applications. It was just something I remembered hearing, I don't have any data to back it up.

Maybe I'm thinking about mobile environments. ?

I could be completely wrong about that. I was under the impression that it was best practice to use stranded copper for DC applications. It was just something I remembered hearing, I don't have any data to back it up.

Maybe I'm thinking about mobile environments. ?
Stranded wire is indicated for mobile environments because it is less prone to work hardening due to vibration.
To the best of my knowledge solid vs stranded does not influence the conductivity of wire for dc applications.
There is an phenomena called skin effect but it applies to alternating current and is negliable at the frequencies used at the end of the supply chain.

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but speaking from experience, running grow lights off of solar is a very tall order. My lights (LED's) pull 800w each. A day is well over 20kwh. They cost so much I stopped growing (plus, it's not legal to grow stuff where I live currently).

Also, don't run DC to your AC panel. If you just HAVE to reuse the existing wiring, I would pull each "new" DC circuit out of the breaker panel, and just reuse the wires, sans breakers (should probably add, at least, a few cheap automotive fuses). They even make pretty slick looking DC distribution panels with built in fuses, that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Like someone said before, DC won't travel well over solid wires and long distances, but I plugged in a 13v input (about battery voltage) and a 100 foot run, over 16 awg solid wire, with a 10 watt load, into a calculator. It is only a 5.6% drop and leaves you with 12.3 volts, which is plenty to run 12 volt lighting. So running small lights is definitely possible with existing home wiring, but larger loads are definitely not recommended by me.

Post some pictures of your food forest! My sister-in-law has something similar going on.
F.Y.I.
DC has no issues with solid conductors. And dc is the same as ac over distances… resistance isn’t futile, it drops voltage over distance. If the voltage is low, the lost volts are a huge percentage loss… if voltage is high, the loss is less critical.

pretty sure copper has the same resistance whether solid or stranded. Stranded wire is indicated for mobile environments because it is less prone to work hardening due to vibration
Got that down but the engineering notes I just read actually says that stranded wire has slightly more resistance than equivalent gage solid wire.
To the best of my knowledge solid vs stranded does not influence the conductivity of wire for dc applications.
F.Y.I.
DC has no issues with solid conductors. And dc is the same as ac over distances…
Ok. That is interesting.
I think since sixth grade I’ve believed that stranded wire was less resistive versus solid wire of the same gauge and composition.
It was told to me like 8 years ago by a retired big-three automotive engineer that block-to-firewall finewire flat braided “ground straps” were more efficient and had higher current capacity per weight of copper than round wire because it had more fine strands and more total surface area.
I just believed him being that he was a 40-year veteran engineer… never occurred to me to question since 45 years ago Mr. Birch taught the same thing!

You guys made me look it up. Both those old timers had it wrong for similar but different reasons: https://electronics.stackexchange.c...randed-wire-resistance-compared-to-solid-wire

Thanks

Got that down but the engineering notes I just read actually says that stranded wire has slightly more resistance than equivalent gage solid wire.

Ok. That is interesting.
I think since sixth grade I’ve believed that stranded wire was less resistive versus solid wire of the same gauge and composition.
It was told to me like 8 years ago by a retired big-three automotive engineer that block-to-firewall finewire flat braided “ground straps” were more efficient and had higher current capacity per weight of copper than round wire because it had more fine strands and more total surface area.
I just believed him being that he was a 40-year veteran engineer… never occurred to me to question since 45 years ago Mr. Birch taught the same thing!

You guys made me look it up. Both those old timers had it wrong for similar but different reasons: https://electronics.stackexchange.c...randed-wire-resistance-compared-to-solid-wire

Thanks
That's pretty much how I heard it as well. One of the guys who trained me always used stranded wire for high amperage applications, he always said that if you go under 12 awg, to always use stranded, because of the surface area. It's just something I did and didn't think much about.

I should have specified that it was LOW VOLTAGE DC that doesn't like long distances as well.

That's pretty much how I heard it as well. One of the guys who trained me always used stranded wire for high amperage applications, he always said that if you go under 12 awg, to always use stranded, because of the surface area. It's just something I did and didn't think much about.

I should have specified that it was LOW VOLTAGE DC that doesn't like long distances as well.
He is sort of correct, below #10 code requests stranded… but the reason is flexibility. #8 solid copper can be routed, but the work hardening makes pushing or pulling through conduit or fittings in a panel nigh impossible.
Stranded has a larger diameter than the equivalent solid conductor due to air gap.

H2O splitting by ionization
View attachment 98730
Hello Josi,
Yep unusual is more interesting. I am not at the level of confidence to compress yet. Although I have a source for low compression vessels I may fill with carbonized hemp. I understand they will hold 10% hydrogen by weight at 1 atmosphere per pound of hemp. If it works I will see if I can run my car on some percentage of it.

I forgot to mention, splitting the h2o is achieved at a much lower amperage if you add some nitrogen. Check Robert Murray-Smith for making hydrogen and the bromine battery.

H2O splitting by ionization
View attachment 98730
I am ionizing the water by spraying it (atomizing as in a carburator) onto the high voltage ignition system of an ICE car (the separate molecules are better split when floating in the air, instead of in the "compressed" liquid state). The two emf poles will easily pull the molecule apart (same way it's done in the clouds through lightning-mitigate the gap between the two poles). After the battery, on the 12V power supply to the car bobine I've added a 555 pulse generator to match 3 kHz for best efficiency. This is based on the Stan Meyer's patents. The potentiometer between the ECM and the oxigen sensor is to keep the ECM beleiving that we are still using gasoline.

INTRIGUING, CONFUSING............Missed where the solar is someplace along the way. Is this a residential solar forum?

Last edited:
INTRIGUING, CONFUSING............Missed where the solar is someplace along the way. Is this a residential solar forum?
Excellent point. Please click the report button next time you see a thread in an incorrect forum. We mods can easily move them.

Back