diy solar

diy solar

ABS Battery Box for 8S 280 ah 24 Volt Battery

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
Wanting to buy a lithium cell battery box, preferably with terminals for an 8 Cell 280 AH Battery. There's plenty for sale an alibaba for the 4 cell 12 volt version, but have not seen any wide enough for 8 cells.

Has anyone been able to find one. This is a picture of a 4 cell, but I want to see if an 8 cell is available prior to sandwiching my cells between plywood and threaded rod.

1625429184614.png

The dimensions of the Cells themselves are 572 mm X 205 mm, and I do not see a battery box that big for sale. I would need to put the BMS somewhere also.

I'm interested too but would have to be quite strong for over 40kg.

I'm interested too but would have to be quite strong for over 40kg.
I think weight may be a limitation. There are 24 volt batteries built that come from the factory, but these ill have 100 ah cells, not 280 ah. Overall, the heaviest assembled battery I see is around 70 LBS, and I’m asking for one that will hold 100 LBS. THere probably is a limit on how big these cases can be, wither because they’ll break or there’s so few people in the world who will buy it. May be a reason manufacturers go to 2 volt batteries when making ones that hold huge amp hours.

If you open up the YouTube video, and look at the description, there's a link.

At first glance, quite pricey: $119. After just finsihing my first battery case, that would have taken a couple of days off my build.

Thanks for the link info. I was hoping to fit all 8 of my 230Ah cells into a single box, or at least find 2 smaller boxes that will fit 4 230's in each.... at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the link info. I was hoping to fit all 8 of my 230Ah cells into a single box, or at least find 2 smaller boxes that will fit 4 230's in each.... at a reasonable price.
I did not find an 8S. I searched many hours and found none. Ali had quite the selection, just nothing big enough for 8 cells.

Seems there are various ABS options out there if you want to dig around and are willing to get something a little bigger that can maybe hold the BMS in addition to the batteries....something like this:

13.78×17.72×7.87" is big enough for cells to stand up, and a space about 5X14 down the side for BMS and various stuff. Various colors, hingest, and even a clear top option.

Seems there are various ABS options out there if you want to dig around and are willing to get something a little bigger that can maybe hold the BMS in addition to the batteries....something like this:

13.78×17.72×7.87" is big enough for cells to stand up, and a space about 5X14 down the side for BMS and various stuff. Various colors, hingest, and even a clear top option.
Thanks for the link stepandwolf. I'm trying to fit this into a battery box in my RV which is 22L X 11W X 11H. I found these on Aliexpress, but shipping looks pretty unreasonable. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002448629263.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.4.5ac279f2Zir5uW

Thanks for the link stepandwolf. I'm trying to fit this into a battery box in my RV which is 22L X 11W X 11H. I found these on Aliexpress, but shipping looks pretty unreasonable. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002448629263.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.4.5ac279f2Zir5uW
that box, which is 18.7x8.8x7.6 would fit in the space, but what type of cell in what configuration would fit in that box? The link I gave was for a box 14x18 which fits a set of 8 cells with space left over, for a bms or something. My 8 Lishen 272s measure 10X14. I think my EVE LF280 are similar.

I'll be using 230ah cells which are thinner at 54mm (2.12 in.) I thought most 280Ah cells are 72mm no? Dimensions(L*W*H): 174*72*203mm. That would make an 8 cell row of your 280ah's stacked horizontally 23" long and too big for the box. I was thinking about 2 separate 4S 12v batteries, then connected in parallel. Both layed out in one single row, all 8 in the box. My 230Ah cells would be 17" long with some room for BMS's. Does that make sense or have I lost my marbles?

I'll be using 230ah cells which are thinner at 54mm (2.12 in.) I thought most 280Ah cells are 72mm no? Dimensions(L*W*H): 174*72*203mm. That would make an 8 cell row of your 280ah's stacked horizontally 23" long and too big for the box. I was thinking about 2 separate 4S 12v batteries, then connected in parallel. Both layed out in one single row, all 8 in the box. My 230Ah cells would be 17" long with some room for BMS's. Does that make sense or have I lost my marbles?
my setup is a 2X4 configuration, two cells 7"+7" X 4 cells 2.83=11.3. so 14x12 approx. I have the 1mm foam pads between cells so my total outside dimension is a bit bigger and I intend to use the threaded rods method.

I like the ABS boxes that are in the youtube video, of course, I purchased them. I have six packs of 280AH Each in the RV and it made the install very clean, as the Daly Smart BMS fits neatly inside. I have had a few constructive comments on things to do slightly different, but it would not change much. One item is compressing the cells, but I'm not sure that would be necessary and probably difficult to do. Cells expand and contract, normally. One item on the cells expanding would be flexible bus bars. I am looking into finding a supplier of these.
I guess they're fine enough for a plastic box. However I think the price is quite unrealistic since these are about 6X what a standard battery box costs, without any additional features. For $120 I would expect some sort of cell compression and perhaps also a cell heating control system?? I was wondering why folks were making their own wooden boxes.
Battery Box

One item on the cells expanding would be flexible bus bars. I am looking into finding a supplier of these.
I've only assembled two, 280AH 12V batteries for my camp trailer, but with each I've used large cables with lugs on each end. It's more time consuming than solid busbars, of course, but because I had the materials and a hammer-powered crimper it worket out well. Are there any suppliers you know of that can make these assembled and in custom lengths at a reasonable cost?

Hahaha, 13.78" is just approximately 2 inch more than that a foot, that won't take the cell bro

Looking on Ali, there are loads of 4S battery boxes for 12 volt packs, even a couple that may fit a 8S pack, but definitely not an 8S pack with 280 ah cells.

There are batteries that way in at 100 LBS, which is about what my 8S pack will be, but no pre-made ABS case I can find. The shell of these 100 LBS batteries would make a good 24 volts 8S 280 ah case, just cna’t find it for sale.

Hahaha, 13.78" is just approximately 2 inch more than that a foot, that won't take the cell bro
my 8 cell battery is 12X14....fits easily with room for BMS... I am not saying it works for everyone's battery, but I thought it was appropriate for the battery pack being discussed.

8 cell battery is 12X14....fits easily with room for BMS... I am not saying it works for everyone's battery, but I thought it was appropriate for the battery pack being discusse
My requirement makes this a bit hard. I have a 24” X 24” Inside diameter I am trying to fit 16 batteries set up as two 8S batteries, There is room to place three rows of 8, with about 1/2” on each side before the cases are built.

Two boxes that you mentioned just would not fit. One would.

When this is done and the install is complete, that 24” X 24” is a slide out battery tray, and if I just remove that tray, there will be a lot more room. Would make asembly harder than I’d like, but still doable.

Hi, I found these boxes on Ali Express. Would they serve your purpose? I am planning a big project for 40+ kWh DIY battery bank with similar, if not the same cells. I'm considering these boxes. I am wanting to do 24v 230 Ah 8s packs. Planning on using the overkill solar 8s BMS.

The box in the link is the wrong size (way too small) but if you scroll down you can see they have many size options.

I'm looking at their 200 Ah or 250 Ah enclosures which measure 485x370x270mm and 500x370x260 respectively. Which one to choose depends on how much extra room is needed for BMS etc.

Here is the link

Hope this helps.

-Nate

P.S. Is burying your batteries a thing for anyone here? I had never thought of it but actually kinda am liking the idea if the boxes hold up... being buried a couple feet deep here might really help regulate temps as anything a foot deep won't freeze in our mild winters.

Back