diy solar

diy solar

Absorption Time Battleborn

hagensieker

Solar Enthusiast
I have Battleborn 100 ah (2 in parallel).

Battleborn recommends absorption time at 20-30 mins per 100 ah battery.

My absorption times are set to adaptive and generally fall around the 6-10 minute mark.

Should I change my absorption rate to fixed and set for 1 hour? Or is adaptive setting ok? Which is optimum?

My absorption times are set to adaptive and generally fall around the 6-10 minute mark.

Should I change my absorption rate to fixed and set for 1 hour? Or is adaptive setting ok? Which is optimum?

If the absorption time is adaptive that suggests that the charge is terminated when the current falls below a threshold.
Lifepo4 batteries are meant to be charge constant current, constant voltage.
That means that first first phase is current limited by the charger until it is current limited by the battery.
The second phase ends when the battery current draw approaches zero.

do what BB sez. if it seems odd, ask BB to clarify?
I bet BB would explain their reasoning similar to smoothJoe
BB is considered xLnt wrt support.

If the absorption time is adaptive that suggests that the charge is terminated when the current falls below a threshold.
Lifepo4 batteries are meant to be charge constant current, constant voltage.
That means that first first phase is current limited by the charger until it is current limited by the battery.
The second phase ends when the battery current draw approaches zero.
So, are you suggesting to use fixed or adaptive absorption for a LiFePO4 battery?

I think you are fine if you are charging to 14.5/14.6 volts. What voltage are you charging to?

Hi there, I was just was wondering what absorption mode did you decide to use for your batteries, fixed or adaptive? Thanks.

So, are you suggesting to use fixed or adaptive absorption for a LiFePO4 battery?
Both have their place.
I'm not suggesting one over the other.

I actually don't use absorption(CV) at all on my pack.
This is how mine terminated today.
15mv delta at 252ah into a 280ah battery.
I set it to charge to 256ah tomorrow.

Code:
2021-07-19 20:56:05 3.378V 0.015V 27.4C 25.1C 252.0AH 20.4A
2021-07-19 20:56:12 3.367V 0.011V 27.4C 25.1C 252.1AH 0.0A
2021-07-19 20:56:18 3.364V 0.010V 27.4C 25.1C 252.1AH -6.2A

Does your charger allow you granular control of tail current.
Do you have a base load?
If yes, Is the base load wildly variable or fairly consistent?
Do you have multiple concurrent charge sources?
What voltage are you charging to?
What c rate are you charging to?
All of these things must be considered.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed answer, but I'm sorry that your info is way over my head. I don't understand all that jargon as I'm sort of a newbie. I hope to learn, though. Again, thanks.

Thanks for your detailed answer, but I'm sorry that your info is way over my head. I don't understand all that jargon as I'm sort of a newbie. I hope to learn, though. Again, thanks.
Do you have a system up and running?
What charger(s) do you have?
What battery(s) do you have?
Please provide product links and we can start there.

Do you have a system up and running?
What charger(s) do you have?
What battery(s) do you have?
Please provide product links and we can start there.
Yep, I have a small system up and running. I'm too sleepy right now, but I'll post the links to my system later on tomorrow.

Back