diy solar

diy solar

ABYC standards

I tried searching “ABYC A-31 PDF” And it looks like I have to be a certified technician to get access to the standard.

Not really a choice for DYIers.
The free Coast Guard Handbook has what you need for free

Attachments

• abyc.JPG
    abyc.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 13
If you really dig around might be able to find some partial snippets of older codes.

Has anyone mentioned the Coast Guard handbook? I think it's free. ;)

It’s ironic considering the second sentence in this letter from the ABYC president.

Pretty much every standards organization charges a pretty hefty fee for the standards - because it costs a fair bit to organize and publish them.

These aren't mass market publications, and there isn't a huge demand for them. Somebody has to pay to have them published.

I find it frustrating myself, but I understand it.

That's not the real reason. It costs money to create them, but publishing a digital copy today is free. And low volume physical publication is very cheap.
The REAL reason is that the purpose of ABYC is to support the marine industry. To give its members value, that they can then pass on to customers, charge a higher price for, and to stand out as a better provider than competitors. If the standards were free and easy to get, then all providers and DIY techs would follow them, and that value to the members would be lost.

That's not the real reason. It costs money to create them, but publishing a digital copy today is free. And low volume physical publication is very cheap.
The REAL reason is that the purpose of ABYC is to support the marine industry. To give its members value, that they can then pass on to customers, charge a higher price for, and to stand out as a better provider than competitors. If the standards were free and easy to get, then all providers and DIY techs would follow them, and that value to the members would be lost.
I think your reasoning is off a bit. It costs money to create them. So once created, the only way to cover that cost is to charge for the distributed content, regardless of platform. By your logic Kindle and other E-Books should be free. Doubt the Authors would like that ;-) . If you are really building an boat or a marine system that needs ABYC compliance, I suspect you are spending way, way, way more than it would cost to get a legal copy of the Code in question.

I think your reasoning is off a bit. It costs money to create them. So once created, the only way to cover that cost is to charge for the distributed content, regardless of platform. By your logic Kindle and other E-Books should be free. Doubt the Authors would like that ;-) . If you are really building an boat or a marine system that needs ABYC compliance, I suspect you are spending way, way, way more than it would cost to get a legal copy of the Code in question.
The cost to create them is covered by membership. It completes a circle, join, work together to create the standards, and share the standards amongst each other. Much of the work creating the standard is volunteer by the members. Selling copies is ancillary. They need to sell a few to insurance companies, lawyers etc. to support the value. And to provide a path for new entrants in the field to become certified and join. But income from selling them isn't the reason for selling them. Worth noting, the cheapest membership is $105 and includes access to the standards. For a non-member to access them is $809. They want members, not to sell the standard.
Comparing to other electronic books isn't an apples/apples comparison. It might take an author a year or two to write a book, during which time he has expenses, research, whatever. And the purpose of selling the book is to earn money. The author isn't solicitating membership to support him during the authoring process.

Pretty much every standards organization charges a pretty hefty fee for the standards - because it costs a fair bit to organize and publish them.

These aren't mass market publications, and there isn't a huge demand for them. Somebody has to pay to have them published.

I find it frustrating myself, but I understand it.
Underwriters Labs gives you free access to their safety standards,

I understand they are a industry focused group not DIY friendly.
There are two ways you can gain access to all the standards.

Select a "trial membership" they allow full access to the standards I think it was two weeks.
I downloaded all the areas I was interested in. A28, E2, E11, E13, H2, H27, H40 etc. they are PDFs and not very big.

If you are really into it they do now offer a boater membership, $190/year
(the $105 above is only for technicians, you have to work for a member business)

Worth noting that the boaty crowd must have their craft signed off by ABYC inspector to get insurance. You dont get to dock without insurance, so all your electricals must be to the "CODE". Electrical fires/explosions are a common hazard - given marine setting and sea mist everywhere. I my limited experience on the edge of the black hole money pit I found that everything physical deteriorates 10x faster abord than on land, that includes OH.

OBTW, subsections of the ABYC standard in pdf dl form $130 per 6-10 pages including E13 but you have to join $190pa

Heres the essence of Electrical stds

Last edited:
I have not every heard of a boat needing to be signed off by an ABYC inspector. I'm not sure such an inspector even exists. Most insurance policies require a survey within 3 years to start a new policy, but a Marine Surveyor doesn't normally hold any ABYC certifications. Rather, (in the United States) they are accredited by Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS) or National Association of Marine Surveyors (NAMS). These surveys are also normally part of the purchase of a used boat, so often on hand when shopping for a policy.

The Surveyor looks for obviously wrong and dangerous things, many of which are ABYC compliance issues, but in no way does the surveyor sign off the boat as being compliant. Most boats have a long list of non-compliant items, and get a clean survey. If the survey does list some serious items, all you need to do is provide a letter that you will fix them, and there is no follow-up survey to prove it.

It is becoming common in parts of the US that you need liability insurance to get a slip. That is becoming a problem, as many insurance companies no longer insure boats over 40 years old, regardless of condition, and a few now no older than 30 years old.

As stated above, the ABYC standards can be obtained for free by getting the free 2 week membership. I have to conclude that is the purpose of the 2 week membership, because there are not really any other benefits you can take advantage of in 2 weeks.

https://www.namsglobal.org/

I have not every heard of a boat needing to be signed off by an ABYC inspector.
ABYC is a voluntary standard, but it is the most important standard in the US pleasure boat industry. Following the ABYC electrical standards is almost mandatory if you don't want to be sued as a builder. For owners, it's also a good way not to sink your boat, but the only time it might be required by insurance is if you have more than liability.

I'm not sure they cover some of the things we would be interested in...messing with lithium and solar does have some safety implications for systems like bilge pumps which should not be able to be 'turned off' normally. How best to deal with BMS functions that could render safety equipment inoperable, etc? We currently have one lead battery for this reason.

ABYC is a voluntary standard, but it is the most important standard in the US pleasure boat industry. Following the ABYC electrical standards is almost mandatory if you don't want to be sued as a builder. For owners, it's also a good way not to sink your boat, but the only time it might be required by insurance is if you have more than liability.

I'm not sure they cover some of the things we would be interested in...messing with lithium and solar does have some safety implications for systems like bilge pumps which should not be able to be 'turned off' normally. How best to deal with BMS functions that could render safety equipment inoperable, etc? We currently have one lead battery for this reason.
The Lithium with BMS is actually safer for powering devices that must always be on like bilge pumps. If the LFP battery is run down, the BMS turns of and your bilge pump stops working. That isn't good. But if the Lead Acid battery runs down to such a low voltage that the pump won't run, you risk damaging the pump, which is even worse.

In nearly 4 years with LFP, I have had one disconnect. It rained for several weeks, and I had to leave the boat. The solar couldn't keep up. The LFP drained, and disconnected. When the sun peeked through the clouds for a few minutes each day, the LFP charged just enough the allow the BMS to reconnect, run the bilge pump, run the freezer, and then disconnect again. It did this until I returned. The bilge was kept dry in the heavy rain, and the freezer stayed frozen. If I had Lead-Acid, the LA battery would have been ruined, and the bilge pump and DC compressor probably as well.

Back