diy solar

diy solar

AC and DC Switchgear

MountainmanBill

I cobbled together my solar system in my temporary shelter just so I could have some power. Now that I have a more permanent, and larger (if you can call 12' X 16' larger) place to dwell, I'd like to set up the system properly. I have a Schneider Conext 4048 inverter/charger that I'm going to install a DC switchgear on to. I'm also thinking about installing an AC switchgear as well. What I don't understand (and hope I can get answers to on here) is what the three 30-amp breakers are for on the AC switchgear.

I'm going to incorporate a manual transfer switch into my current cabin wiring so I can pick and choose which circuits will be used on what power source; grid or solar. That switch will be fed by the inverter. I'm guessing that I could split the load in the transfer switch by using two, or even all three of the breakers from the AC switchgear to accomplish this? Certain groups of circuits will be fed by each 30-amp breaker from the AC Switchgear? Is this correct?

It's an expensive proposition in installing the AC switchgear in the first place. I could just open the DC switchgear's breaker to disconnect power to the inverter, and thus to the transfer switch. So maybe the AC switchgear isn't needed? Help me out with my non-understanding of what I'm getting myself into, if you please, and thank you.

I'm not quite following your question, sorry. Hopefully someone will see this and jump in.

Generally speaking the AC breakers in that type of system are for the generator input, the grid input and the load output. It's also nice to have a bypass/interlocked assembly of breakers so if something goes wrong with your inverter/batteries you, but most importantly someone not familiar with your system, can throw one set of interlocked breakers and power your house directly from a generator (or grid) while you resolve the issue with your inverter.

Last edited:
I have a Schneider Conext 4048 inverter/charger that I'm going to install a DC switchgear on to. I'm also thinking about installing an AC switchgear as well. What I don't understand (and hope I can get answers to on here) is what the three 30-amp breakers are for on the AC switchgear.
Input (grid to inverter)
Output (inverter to loads)
Bypass (umm, bypass)
The output and bypass are interlocked so only one can be engaged at a time.
The bypass and output breaker with interlock will function as a manual transfer switch.

Your use of switchgear may be different than I understand switchgear to be. Breaker panels and boxes are not usually called switchgear. So when you say you are going to install a DC switchgear and possibly a AC switchgear to your inverter it is hard to figure out just what it is you intend to do.

The standard wiring setup is DC from battery to inverter. AC from inverter output to load panel. If the inverter incorporates a AC ATS and battery charger in it than there must be a breaker from another power source (grid or generator) to supply that input. Your load panel could be supplied by two sources through the use of a transfer switch if you wish to isolate the inverter during periods of work if another source was available.

Back