diy solar

diy solar

AC battery charger tie in location question,

Flemcadiddlehopper

So, I have a 1988 Vanagon Westfalia and I am adding a solar charging system. I have a Renogy MPPT DCDC charger, two 100W flex solar panels, a renogy 1000W inverter, a 100Amp/hr lithium battery and a Renogy 20A ac/dc battery charger, None of it installed yet. The panels will not be permanently mounted and will only come out once parked and camping. The only item I am not sure where to tie in, is the ac/dc battery charger. Should it be connected to the DCDC charger on the same terminals as the solar panel? Because I will either be connected to shore power (ac/dc charger), or be collecting solar power. In this type of connection the DCDC charger should prioritize the solar power battery the trickle the start battery. Am I correct in my thinking?
Just haven't found a schematic for this type of system yet.

Thanks, Gordo.

I'm in the same position as your post. 1987 vanagon. Renogy mppt dcdc 30 amp with a 100ah lifepo4 battery, and Renogy battery monitoring display. Looking for an ac charger to top off prior to trips. What did you end up doing. Did you do the 30 or 50 amp? Breaker sizes? Under bench or driver seat?

Hi, I ended up mounting the MPPT DCDC charge controller and the Renogy 1000w inverter on the side of the sink/stove cabinet, behind the driver's seat. The battery and ac/dc charger are mounted in the bottom shelf of that same cabinet. The ac/dc charger is tied into the charge controller at the same points as the solar panels. And since I am not going to be plugged into power at the same time as charging with solar, I added a shut-off switch on the positive wire of the ac/dc charger. It all fits snugly together and the cupboard space is still usable for our cups and plates and such. I have two 50 amp breakers.One for the solar input and the other for the battery connections. I also added the Gowesty solar plug in flap, which is lined up with the other three flaps, Access to it was not too bad, it's only a little behind the fridge. Will be easier once we do the fridge omit conversion.
One other convenience we added (not that it has anything to do with charging) is the Chinese Diesel Heater, which is mounted under the back seat and the tank is mounted in the left hand side of the back cupboard, with the filler facing the back. That way no diesel fuel needs to be brought into the living space. It's awesome and keeps us nice and toasty warm for spring and fall camping.

I do hope this helps, the system has been working great for our needs.

Cheers, Gordo.

Back