diy solar

diy solar

AC Battery charging efficiency for MPP LV6548?

jtwalters

I looked through the user manual but I don't see any mention of the MPP LV6548 efficiency for charging from AC to the connected 48V battery. Any ideas? Is it better than 90%? I've seen the specs on the EG4 48V 18A charger "Up To 95% Efficiency" — what does this mean exactly? What's the average efficiency of, say, charging an EG4 100AH 48V pack from 49V to 54V? (or, in other words, charging from ~5% to ~25% capacity).

That means at some specific power level, it is 95% efficient. At all other power levels, it is less.

If you have one, you can measure input current/voltage and output current/voltage and determine the efficiency yourself.

Me? Well, since it's simply an AC to DC converter, and reasonably priced ones are about 85% efficient, THAT's what I would assume.

Ok, that’s about what I was thinking but was hoping for some validation. And then my followup question would be: Why is the bypass line mode (load bypass to utility) not 99.9 - 100% efficient, and what would the typical efficiency range be?

I assume the typical efficiency would be scaled by the standby power consumption (all of the electronics powered on, the backlight, fans, thermal losses, etc)? If that makes sense.

Back