diy solar

diy solar

AC Coupled advice, how to get enough charging power?

Shale MacGregor

Solar Enthusiast
I am having a 14KW grid-tie system put in with microinverters on the roof converting to AC. I know I need an AC coupled system but my concerns are:

1) Having a big enough system to accept all of the power to charge the batteries (48v battery pack at 14KW means up to 300 amps of charging)
2) Controlling charging the batteries from solar rather than the mains (net metering only pays back 50%)
3) Getting everything to line up properly in terms of the systems.

Is there a recommend system or series of systems for this? I've looked at Sigineer (60 amp charger) 18kw, and Victron Quattro with autotransformer (200 amp per)

Thanks!

I am having a 14KW grid-tie system put in with microinverters on the roof converting to AC. I know I need an AC coupled system but my concerns are:

1) Having a big enough system to accept all of the power to charge the batteries (48v battery pack at 14KW means up to 300 amps of charging)
2) Controlling charging the batteries from solar rather than the mains (net metering only pays back 50%)
3) Getting everything to line up properly in terms of the systems.

Is there a recommend system or series of systems for this? I've looked at Sigineer (60 amp charger) 18kw, and Victron Quattro with autotransformer (200 amp per)

Thanks!
You should follow this thread as well. It is not the same problem, but similar.

As I mentioned in the other thread, you may want to investigate some of the high voltage battery solutions that are appearing in the power-wall space. I don't know what is available to the DIYer, but it is worth exploring.

If you go with a 48V solution, you may want to consider doing it in multiple smaller systems (See the other thread).

Also, are you wanting to power the house when the grid is out? There are challenges with that when using micro-inverters.

You should follow this thread as well. It is not the same problem, but similar.

As I mentioned in the other thread, you may want to investigate some of the high voltage battery solutions that are appearing in the power-wall space. I don't know what is available to the DIYer, but it is worth exploring.

If you go with a 48V solution, you may want to consider doing it in multiple smaller systems (See the other thread).

Also, are you wanting to power the house when the grid is out? There are challenges with that when using micro-inverters.
Yes, with AC Coupling feature it shifts the frequency to cut the power from the micro-inverters as needed. That does leave me putting the micro-inverter output on the other side of the Inverter/Charger and inability to do net metering, but I am planning on having more than enough battery to handle my usage even if not enough solar production.

Back