diy solar

diy solar

AC DC connections on power supply.

Short_Shot

Solar Addict
The dc return path is positive, TO negative. That is the path. Earth is just a wire connection point. Think of earth in a circuit as simply another wire to get power transferred from source to load and back.
source is either a battery, or a supply like you have.
earth is just a conductor.
Yeah. But this is very misleading.

Furthermore you could technically make the argument that positive "out" is actually wrong as power "flows" from negative to positive. So negative is actually "out".

But that's really not the point here lol

Ahh, I didn’t read his image notations. Got it.
Fire, hot, L1, etc… all simplistic names for the ac wire…
Lol I've never in 15+ years of messing with angry pixies heard it referred to as "fire", and L1 implies multiple phases.

That's a giggle from me for sure.

Lol I've never in 15+ years of messing with angry pixies heard it referred to as "fire", and L1 implies multiple phases.

That's a giggle from me for sure.
Remember… even a 120V device could be part of a 240V panel, so L1 would be part of “multiple phases” and those labels are likely Chinese translations…

Remember… even a 120V device could be part of a 240V panel, so L1 would be part of “multiple phases”
Well yes. But that's functionally irrelevant for residential, or even industrial for the most part, and only really comes up in control wiring as far as I'm aware.

Then again I'm not calling myself an expert as I'm not an electrician, though I've designed and wired many a control panel.

Are there other situation where that would be important?

I like this conversation. I'd buy you a beer if I was local to you.

Well yes. But that's functionally irrelevant for residential, or even industrial for the most part, and only really comes up in control wiring as far as I'm aware.

Then again I'm not calling myself an expert as I'm not an electrician, though I've designed and wired many a control panel.

Are there other situation where that would be important?

I like this conversation. I'd buy you a beer if I was local to you.
It’s all irrelevant, except for naming what the screws are. L is just a point connection for ac wiring. Nothing to do with control wiring. Every circuit breaker wire in any main panel is considered a line, or L and all ac devices are usually labeled L1,2,3 etc on the schematic. But we are getting off track, and don’t want to confuse the OP.

It’s all irrelevant, except for naming what the screws are. L is just a point connection for ac wiring. Nothing to do with control wiring. Every circuit breaker wire in any main panel is considered a line, or L and all ac devices are usually labeled L1,2,3 etc on the schematic. But we are getting off track, and don’t want to confuse the OP.
That would be very confusing as which hot you use in which order determines motor rotation. Our panels make it very clear which is which so all motors have the same rotation standard.

But you're right about us being side tracked.

Back