diy solar

diy solar

AC/DC coupled, grid tie, hybrid etc?

Yes that is the original concept. It has evolved to also mean using a grid forming inverter (hybrid) to AC couple with a GT, grid dependent inverter, to allow the GT inverter to function when the grid is down.
I mean you can add those details, but I think it's splitting hairs.

Also, don't go calling a grid forming inverter a hybrid. Lol
Hybrid, such a messy term around these parts

I mean you can add those details, but I think it's splitting hairs.
Slitting hairs or clarification?
Also, don't go calling a grid forming inverter a hybrid. Lol
I have started using the term "grid forming inverter" ecause Outback documentation uses that term and I think it adequately describes part of what it does in an AC coupling situation. I agree the term "hybrid" has lost any meaningful definition because marketers have picked up on that term and exploited it. However grid forming is only one feature or function of what I have chosen for my system In my situation I also like the term Outback has chosen when they call my Skybox a "grid interactive" inverter. The important thing for me is features and functionality.

Slitting hairs or clarification?
Can't it be both? ?
I have started using the term "grid forming inverter" ecause Outback documentation uses that term and I think it adequately describes part of what it does in an AC coupling situation. I agree the term "hybrid" has lost any meaningful definition because marketers have picked up on that term and exploited it. However grid forming is only one feature or function of what I have chosen for my system In my situation I also like the term Outback has chosen when they call my Skybox a "grid interactive" inverter. The important thing for me is features and functionality.
I like grid forming inverter. I wish more manufacturers would use it.

Making the distinction of grid forming battery inverter implies there is a non-grid forming battery inverter/charger available as a real option for the application.

I should have been using inverter charger this entire time. But, I hope the OP (and anyone else reading) wasn't looking at the $200, 5,000 watt harbor freight special sauce inverter.

Good clarification, thanks Ampster.

When I hear coupling I think inverter to inverter One usually responsible for managing the battery storage. Is the PV power sent all the way to the batteries as DC ? then it's DC coupled, Is the PV power converted to AC (Micros/String inverters ) then BACK to DC to the batteries > AC coupled. I like to break up a vendors device into what you are getting inside ( PV MPPT - get the solar DC power, DC Charger 24/48V or AC to DC Charger - monitor and charge a battery, Inverter - Convert DC into AC for loads, Transfer switch - detect power and move source or loads from path A - path B like ac1 -> ac2 in, AC Sync Grid or Offgrid - Maintain Phase with Utility or provide a Sync for GT devices ... XW/Quattro/SolArk It's been a big help in my keeping all the vendor products "strait" Like XW -> NO MPPT ( extra device + extra DC charger), Fronius String inverter is MPPT + Inverter (NO DC Charger, no transfer) , Sol-Ark/GroWatt ?? ) -> all parts hybrid. It's a mixed bag vendor by vendor what functions are "inside the box" A bit of a messy place since they are all developing so fast. But is does help with comparing $$$ apples to apples

Making the distinction of grid forming battery inverter implies there is a non-grid forming battery inverter/charger available as a real option for the application
I see most grid forming inverters as having batteries.

When I hear coupling I think inverter to inverter
Yes, and when it is solar panel to battery to inverter I think DC coupling. Inverter to Inverter is typically referring to AC coupling where the fridge forming inverter has batteries and the grid dependant (GT) inverter does not have batteries and can only operate in the presence of the grid, or a grid forming inverter.

My goal is about the same as the OP. Would the EG4 6500EX satisfy the goals described, specifically the ability to "blend" input from PV, batteries, and grid to supply loads based on the relative capacity of each at any one time?
Thanks.

Back