diy solar

diy solar

Ac input and output connected on hybrid MPP inverter?

minerva

If you have a hybrid inverter (it doesn't even have to be necessarily MPP), can you simply connect the AC input to the AC output if your AC output is the main panel?

If I am reading this correctly, you have a grid connection, and you want to attach the grid connection directly to the electrical panel when the inverter is also connected?

That answer is NO NO NO!!! Two very bad things will happen. First, the inverter and grid will be out of phase with each other, and the inverter is likely to be destroyed.

If it's connected to the grid and the grid goes down, you will kill the electrical company lineman trying to make a repair on a line they think is cold.

Under no circumstances whatsoever should an inverter be connected to grid system without a transfer switch, or an either/or toggle breaker to prevent the inverter from ever powering the grid.

If I am reading this correctly, you have a grid connection, and you want to attach the grid connection directly to the electrical panel when the inverter is also connected?

That answer is NO NO NO!!! Two very bad things will happen. First, the inverter and grid will be out of phase with each other, and the inverter is likely to be destroyed.

If it's connected to the grid and the grid goes down, you will kill the electrical company lineman trying to make a repair on a line they think is cold.

Under no circumstances whatsoever should an inverter be connected to grid system without a transfer switch, or an either/or toggle breaker to prevent the inverter from ever powering the grid.
Regarding your second point, the grid outage will still shut down the inverter. At least I don't see why it wouldn't.

Regarding your second point, the grid outage will still shut down the inverter. At least I don't see why it wouldn't.
I think the issue is is the terminology "hybrid inverter". Are you thinking of a grid tie inverter like this one?

This is an example of an inverter that will shut off when the grid will go down.

It has what is called "Islanding Protection", which is what you are talking about. It has three inputs/outputs. ACout for off-grid power. It also has two ACin sets of terminals for grid and generator input. Islanding will work if the grid is connected to ACin. It will NOT work if the grid is connected to ACout.

If you want to connect the grid directly to ACout, you MUST use the transfer switch/toggle breaker described above.

I think the issue is is the terminology "hybrid inverter". Are you thinking of a grid tie inverter like this one?

This is an example of an inverter that will shut off when the grid will go down.

It has what is called "Islanding Protection", which is what you are talking about. It has three inputs/outputs. ACout for off-grid power. It also has two ACin sets of terminals for grid and generator input. Islanding will work if the grid is connected to ACin. It will NOT work if the grid is connected to ACout.

If you want to connect the grid directly to ACout, you MUST use the transfer switch/toggle breaker described above.
Appreciate the input. What the aim here is to have a hybrid inverter with a battery (+/- a GT one) push power into the main panel so there is no need for a separate critical load subpanel. Needless to say, this option would be manually activated with the main breaker off.
One example would be: power outage--> main breaker toggled off --> switch AC connection from the main panel to the hybrid inverter from "AC in" to "AC out".This way the main panel switches from "the grid where the excess power is pushed" to "AC load". I am looking for a practical way of accomplishing that. Fully aware that that's not even close to code.

I’m running into the same situation, I have a lvx6048 and it is not easy to break off loads into a sub panel . I wish the ac output could grid tie with cts on the main for net zero . If the inverter could operate a transfer switch on the mains then it could run the loads during power outages

Back