diy solar

diy solar

AC or DC ??? Powering an overland fridge-freezer from a solar power station.

FJ45LV

I heard Will say in one of his videos that on the solar power station he was reviewing, when the DC is switched on, it pulls a lot of power even with nothing connected. With that said, it would seem to me to use the AC inverter output to power my fridge-freezzer then. Is there an advantage one way or the other? I have a Dometic CFX3-95DZ and getting a Bluetti AC200. Thank you.

Last edited:
An inverter has a no-load draw, i.e., to have 120VAC ready to supply, it's burning juice. My 4kW Victron uses 30W. Smaller units use less, and some units are better than others. There is also a loss between converting AC to DC. Assume 15%.

So powering by DC avoids the inverter no load draw, and the DC to AC conversion loss, but there is possibly some small losses due to DC conversion if applicable.

The AC fridge is substantial cheaper and bigger, easier to find, easier to replaced when it fails.
It needs more power. So ne question of roof real estate - so you can buy 3 cubic foot dorm fridge for $100 a 1000W Inverter for $100.

You are not getting a DC fridge for this kind of money, not even close. This is more like $700 in this size.

So you are saving $500 - for that money you can buy 600-1000w of solar. No idea how much roof you got - if you take it dollar for dollar a AC Fridge is still the better deal. Since you can buy more solar which outweights the more draw of the fridge by 4-5x

BTW your fridge should run from DC direct without the need for an inverter.

If you have a AC/DC fridge (which is a DC compressor fridge that can accept AC or DC input) it will be more efficient to power it directly via DC. I'm not sure what Will was referring to with DC drawing more on a powerstation, and I'm not sure what power station. Definitely something to look into, but I don't see how AC would be more efficient unless the power station is doing something weird.

I have found a company (in Germany) that converts fridges from AC to DC by swapping out the compressor. Bought a brand new cheap AC fridge and had him converting it. Ended up paying less than half compared to what I would have paid for a new DC one and runs straight off 12/24V.

They ship within Europe (at least)

I have found a company (in Germany) that converts fridges from AC to DC by swapping out the compressor. Bought a brand new cheap AC fridge and had him converting it. Ended up paying less than half compared to what I would have paid for a new DC one and runs straight off 12/24V.

The Germans ;) I'm from Bavaria, but live now in the Florida. It's fascinating how far Germany is advanced in regards to solar and low power consumption technology.
Our house in Germany had Solar Thermal in the 90s and PV in the 2010s.

Tux,
Would you be able to provide contact details for your German engineer ?

cheers
Angus

Hi Angus,
Sure, here's his website (German only) https://belluna.eu/, but he speaks English.

You can either just buy the ones he listed or get you own one converted.

Back