diy solar

diy solar

AC vs DC fridges for off-grid use

I have about 2000€ for the whole solar system including the fridge.
Thats a low budget for a system so some compromise will need to be made.
spend money on it just this one time
Its possible that after living with your system for a period more power will be needed so a system that allows upgrade is advisable. The service life of lead acid batteries with a daily cycle is difficult to predict, my guess, for the batteries you are considering, is 2 years.
the panel won't deliver more than 30amps. What does this mean for my situation
The 450 watt panel wont deliver 450 watts, conversion losses and the fact that the panel will lose efficiency when it gets hot, results in practice to around 80% of panel rating. To get a daily yield assume 5 to 6 effective sun hours in summer and around 1/3 of that in mid winter. Thus on average about 2000 watts per day in summer and 600 watt per day in mid winter. Your fridge will be the major power consumer , with other appliances my estimate is 1000 to 1500 watts per day. I don't think there will be any significant problem over summer but in winter its possible you could have several days of poor weather with insufficient solar to keep up with the demand. The most cost effective is to add an extra solar panel.
actual difference between lithium and lead acid batteries in terms of charging speed?
Lead acid batteries will initially charge at a high rate but there is a recommended limit, for the GEL batteries you are considering this is 30 amps. However due to the chemical process once the SOC exceeds approximately 80% the battery accepts less and less current, thus full charge may take perhaps several hours for a GEL battery. If not fully charged there is a gradual 'walk down' of battery capacity reducing service life. For a GEL 3GL6E the quoted cycle life with optimum charging is 500 cycles. In general it is considered best practice not to discharge LA below 50 % to extend service life. LA battery voltage falls with reducing SOC and voltage drop with high currents, practical current limit will compromise a large inverter.

A lithium battery has a number of advantages, almost constant voltage over usable SOC, high current delivery, (subject to battery management system), does not need to be fully charged, will accept full power from the solar charger until almost fully charged, can use all the capacity without reducing service life of typically 2000 ( at full rated current) charge/discharge cycles, has a higher charge efficiency ( power out to power in) of 99% compared to GEL of 85%. If discharged to less than full capacity at modest currents, cycle life is extended considerably, and natural ageing will be determine service life. Expect in excess of several years. Depending on battery type and capacity there will be a maximum current output, this will impact on the inverter power used in the system.

example,
consider a poor solar day with only 10 amps average from our solar system available for charging.
assume the battery has been discharged by 50 amp hours overnight from a full charge.
260 Ah GEL battery discharged 20%, charge time is, 0.38 x battery capacity / charge current, = 0.38 x 260/ 10 = 9.88 hours, ( formula taken from Rolls Battery User Manual v7.3)
100 Ah Lithium battery discharged 50%, charge time is, lost capacity / charge current , = 50/10 = 5 hours

note other sources have different formula for calculating charge time,
example from Mastervolt, GEL charge time =( lost capacity x efficiency factor / available charge current ) + 4 hours
lithium charge time = lost capacity x efficiency factor / available current
thus GEL = (50 x 1.15 / 10 ) +4 = 9.75 hours
lithium = 50 x 1 / 10 = 5 hours.

100/30 controller should be enough
for a single 450 panel yes, a 100/50 would support an additional panel.

if you're adding solar panels, because of the charge rate? What happens if you exceed it?
the GEL 3GL6E have a recommended maximum charge current of 30 amps, exceeding this with more solar is possible but the issue is perhaps not too serious because, the controller 100/50 cannot exceed 50 amps, the battery will self limit to some extent, solar yield will be low sometimes in winter, the Victron controller can be adjusted for maximum current output, charging at 50 amps is not going to significantly damage the GEL batteries.

Of course alternative batteries may have a higher recommended charge limit.
possible to get a some power supplies (DC-DC convertor)
laptop charger example, charger
phone ,phone USB
adjustable step up converter, converter

Some small devices may run direct from 12 volts via a fuse, example 12v LED lights
when you power things without an inverter? Do you just connect the cables straight on the battery
You connect everything to the battery via a suitable fuse/breaker and use suitable cable that is safe for the expected current. Additional hardware is needed, a fuse box for small consumers and larger fuses/breakers for high power items like solar charge and inverter.

example,
DC circuit 2.jpg

Think about insulating the fridge with kingspan or similar
many AC fridges use the side panels has heat exchangers, thus adding external insulation is a no no. Where there is an obvious heat exchanger at the rear its a possibility.

Fridge power.

AC fridge daily power use will be in the the range of 500 to 1200 watts/day depending on ambient temperature, size and use, use a working power consumption of 800 watts/day for a modest fridge, add inverter efficiency of 90% and inverter standby consumption of 10 watts, 800 + 80 + 240 = 1120 watts/ day

DC fridge , assume same cooling power, 800 watts per day

Its very possible a 800 VA inverter will not start a AC fridge reliably. I suggest a Victron 1600VA or a 2000 VA to ensure a reliable start without and possibility of fridge damage. The 1600 VA has a peak power of 3000 VA,
Of course the battery must be able to supply this power short term.

The 800 VA Victron may start the fridge but you wont know for sure until its installed. Having the option to return for a larger unit would be useful. Because the compressor starting current is high and somewhat variable, an undersized inverter may not get startup every time, several days may be needed for full evaluation.

Mike

Does it have to be electric? Is propane or LNG an option? May not be practical in that particular area but thought I'd throw the idea out there in case it hadn't been considered.

The 800 VA Victron may start the fridge but you wont know for sure until its installed. Having the option to return for a larger unit would be useful. Because the compressor starting current is high and somewhat variable, an undersized inverter may not get startup every time, several days may be needed for full evaluation.
Okay, I've made some more research and read the advice on this forum, and I've found this configuration to be just about right for me.

1. Canadian solar 650w 1x
2. Victron MPPT controller 100/50 Blue solar/Smart solar
3. EcoWatt lithium battery 12.8 volt 100ah x2
4. Fuse box
5. DC power outlet

I'd really like to go for that DC Friobat chest fridge and delay the purchase of an inverter to when I'm able to afford it. The only problem I found is that I won't be able to use my HP printer without an inverter. I use it only occasionally and it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal for me though.

The reason why I think it's the best solution is mostly because the price of a 2000w victron inverter is about 850 € and that would make the whole system more expensive then buying a DC fridge and not having any inverter for the time being. Although not by much. If I went for a cheaper brand inverter, it might even be much cheaper altogether and I would also have an AC current availible. The downsides would be the inverter losses and maybe a higher consumption of a regular AC fridge. And also having an extra device, which I might not even need for anything else. It might break, or lose efficiency over time. It basically depends whether this system is big enough, so that it's worth it even with the inverter losses. I suspect it would be much safer and easier if I went for a DC fridge and no inverter, but if there is a way I could get a reliable 1600w - 2000w inverter for about 400 €, then I think it might be worth to consider.

On the other hand the downsides of going for the DC fridge and no inverter would be AC current not availible, as well as not being able to use my printer until I save some money for an inverter, and also buying a 1000 € fridge from a brand that's not really reviewed by many people, and is located in another country, is also not ideal.

Still, I'm more inclined towards the DC fridge option, but maybe you can advise me about this, or recommend some cheaper inverters. It's also better to go without an inverter, because after a year or two, I will be able to tell better if I need an inverter and how expensive it needs to be. If it's only the printer I'll lack, then a cheap chinese modified sinewave inverter could be all thats needed.

The other issue is that I don't know what else do I need to buy in terms of breakers, fuses, wires and connectors. At first I wanted to buy a pre-assembled kit, but as it seems, I'm gonna want to do it all myself. In Wills videos, he mentioned it's better to oversize your wires, but how much exactly should I oversize? I want to put the panel about 15 metres away from a stone shed where I want to store all devices. The batteries, controller as well as the fridge would be next to each other.

The last thing is I'm not sure if I need to use the victron temperature sensor with those lithium batteries. The place where I want to store them shouldn't get to 0 °C, but I'm not 100 % sure, because the building will not be initially heated at all. Also those batteries have their own BMS system and in the manual it says it stops charging at low temperatures, so it probably won't be necessary.

Jan

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm in favor of forgetting 12V completely and graduating up to a AC based 24V system. I myself started out at 12V and was very disappointed. Was happy to get rid of it.

Sure, you can get lots of 12VDC devices/appliances designed for the RV market, but they are almost always a "find a way to make it work" kind of product. The big problem with larger-scale 12VDC items like refrigerators are that they are specialty items that are hard to find, make serious compromises to function, and if they fail, you are hard-pressed to find repair person.

At least with AC, when something fails, you simply drive into town and buy whatever replacement happens to be sitting on the shelf right then. For DC, you might be waiting weeks.

Yes, there's a power premium for going AC, but now panels are the very cheapest component in the system, so you're best off maximizing the solar to begin with. Instead of the single 650W panel, you could cheaply add 3-4 dirt-cheap 250W panels. With a full-sized frig, lights, and TV/computer, I'd say your consumption is going to be in the 2.5-3.5kWh range, which could be effortlessly supplied by four 250W panels. Pair that with a fairly inexpensive inverter like a Samlex 2000W/24V sine-wave inverter (low background consumption), and you have a system that will power just about anything you're talking about. It will be cheaper than the smaller Victron.

Pair that with a little table-top propane burner stove, and you've got everything you need to carry on with a normal 21st century life. For my own place I used a little propane Coleman camping stove, connected to a 20L tank. Lasted for weeks per tank, but only took 10 minutes to make my morning espresso.

Electric fridge ac or dc is not the way go!

A propane 10 cu.ft refrigerator which requires no electricity will be the simplest solution! In Canada it costs about $1,600 cdn.

A propane 10 cu.ft refrigerator which requires no electricity will be the simplest solution! In Canada it costs about $1,600 cdn.
One of the nearest neighbor's, just about a mile down the road had a propane refrigerator. It leaked, started a fire, and almost burned down their cabin.

I can't name a single person that I've ever heard of that had a fire start at their electric frig.

But why? Just buy a decent fridge at a big box store. ~500 watts of solar will run take care it 11.5 months out of the year at pretty much any site.

Pick a metric that can standardize the comparison on a propane fridge vs. a locally available fridge. $/cu ft is a good. Another one would be total system cost with a propane fridge vs standard fridge.

20 years ago when the glass all by itself was $4/watt you could almost make an argument for propane and DC appliances, etc but with new modules in pallet qty available to anyone with access to google for less 60 cents/watt shipped.

But why? Just buy a decent fridge at a big box store. ~500 watts of solar will run take care it 11.5 months out of the year at pretty much any site.

Pick a metric that can standardize the comparison on a propane fridge vs. a locally available fridge. $/cu ft is a good. Another one would be total system cost with a propane fridge vs standard fridge.

20 years ago when the glass all by itself was $4/watt you could almost make an argument for propane and DC appliances, etc but with new modules in pallet qty available to anyone with access to google for less 60 cents/watt shipped.

About a year and a half ago, our not-that-old propane fridge stopped keeping things cold. Dometic told us to take it to an RV service/sales place. Almost a month before they could take a look at it. We live on a bumpy road. Transporting it must have jostled something up (stuck bubble in the ammonia lines?) because the service tech said everything was ok; left it there for 2 days to be sure.

This mid December that discontinued model stopped keeping items frozen again. We cleaned the coils, defrosted, tested, but not functional, then loaded it up on our trailer, drove it on our bumpy road for about 1 mile total. Been working since, but kind of unnerving. We have an electric portable fridge/freezer as a backup with three recreational coolers that were ok during wintertime in our shipping container for the refrigerated items.

If you are off/ Grid in the mountains of western Canada , you cannot rely on enough solar to keep your batteries charged. An electric refrigerator uses up your battery storage quickly. Most people use propane fridges up here! Never even heard of a modern propane fridge catching fire!
So if you live in a sunny location and have sizeable solar array with a decent battery bank you can probably get away with an electric refrigerator!

About a year and a half ago, our not-that-old propane fridge stopped keeping things cold. Dometic told us to take it to an RV service/sales place. Almost a month before they could take a look at it. We live on a bumpy road. Transporting it must have jostled something up (stuck bubble in the ammonia lines?) because the service tech said everything was ok; left it there for 2 days to be sure.

This mid December that discontinued model stopped keeping items frozen again. We cleaned the coils, defrosted, tested, but not functional, then loaded it up on our trailer, drove it on our bumpy road for about 1 mile total. Been working since, but kind of unnerving. We have an electric portable fridge/freezer as a backup with three recreational coolers that were ok during wintertime in our shipping container for the refrigerated items.
We had a similar situation with our RV fridge. It stopped working so we hauled it down a bumpy road to the repair shop. It was tested and was working!! Hauled back up to the cabin and it has been working ever since. Our other Unique propane fridge works just fine. Living off- grid always presents challenges. Keeps life interesting!

We had a similar situation with our RV fridge. It stopped working so we hauled it down a bumpy road to the repair shop. It was tested and was working!! Hauled back up to the cabin and it has been working ever since.
Another perhaps simpler thing to try is simply turning it upside down overnight, then turning it right side up again. Another neighbor with a propane frig told me that.

If you are off/ Grid in the mountains of western Canada , you cannot rely on enough solar to keep your batteries charged. An electric refrigerator uses up your battery storage quickly. Most people use propane fridges up here! Never even heard of a modern propane fridge catching fire!
So if you live in a sunny location and have sizeable solar array with a decent battery bank you can probably get away with an electric refrigerator!
Not at all true!!!!!! Have you even tried solar?

I live where you describe and very often in mixed cloud, sun and very often overcast. I have 2 medium chest freezers, 7.2 cu ft each, $249 each, one of which is controlled as a refrigerator. They sip power at 50-60 watts each and the fridge compressor only cycles on a few times per hour, the freezer double that, both in my kitchen at 18-21°C. My 100 AHr LiFePO4 battery charged to near full today in mostly overcast but some mixed sun from 11 to 1 p.m.. That will easily power these appliances and everything else and with 20-40% power to spare until the solar generation starts again tomorrow. I can even reduce my power use more but as a senior, I like some comforts.

I have a propane fridge that I used for 14 years and I DESPISED every second with it. First, propane is toxic and a carcinogen and worse when burned indoors without say a window open. Thats tough to do at -30°C or colder. Mine was in my kitchen. I maintained it well and regularily and the flame was 90% of the time the required blue, but soot still builds up. And the wall next to the propane fridge chimney still always had a path of soot develop up the wall and to the ceiling. That soot was likely in the air too. The last 2 years I had a persistant cough that disappeared very soon after switching to an electric fridge. Coincidence or causation?

Second, f’ing propane tanks are a HUGE PITAss and were always and now are even more expensive, as is the cost of propane. The amount of money I spent on propane and tanks and or delivery and then getting propane myself, would have paid for 3-5 solar systems to run larger, cleaner fridges and freezers and that would provide power for other uses. Propane doesn't power much else unless one runs a noisy, inefficient generator. Third, the propane fridge was small at 8? cu ft but the freezer part was tiny at 2 cu ft, without the constant thick never ending ice build up. So it also cost me more money, for long trips to a store for food, as the propane fridge storage space was too small. And for such a small expensive fridge it still used 20 lbs of propane every 21 days. As well, the propane fridge interiors are REALLY humid, so food spoilage was constant.

Replacing the much hated propane fridge 18 months ago, with a few solar panels, was THE BEST off grid northern Canada thing that I have ever done for peace, my health, my finances and for many other reasons. No more lugging tanks from the too far away expensive trip to Costco, in winter or mud season or in the rain, plus the cost of propane at Costco has doubled since I installed solar. Renting a large tank and fuel being delivered is another expensive evil that never ends and the location can't be too difficult to reach. I hated it.

Now 15:40, dark overcast and my $249 CDN 7.2 cu ft chest fridge compressor just turned on and the quiet hum fills me with satisfaction over the horrid memories of an expensive, dirty, difficult, too small disgusting propane fridge.

I have used both at 54 degrees North and solar and electric fridges and freezers are FAR cheaper, healthier, bigger and EXTREMELY EASY to use off grid in our short winter days.

I don't think you have the experience of saying that small solar won't work, as my small system is proof that it works EXTREMELY well. And I live below the poverty line and simply and put together my solar system. I LOVE IT AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT FOR NORTHERN CANADA.

PROPANE SUCKS, is poisonous, expensive, high maintenance and a never ending expense. DO NOT GO PROPANE vs Solar.

Last edited:
Everyone to their own!! I have not experienced the same problems as you though. There’s always a better system but I go with what works for me! Our cabin is only 1 1/2 hours from our house in town!

Everyone to their own!! I have not experienced the same problems as you though. There’s always a better system but I go with what works for me! Our cabin is only 1 1/2 hours from our house in town!
Sounds like you only have very part time experience with propane vs my full time 24/7 14 years and oddly for a solar forum, you have no experience with using solar power and an electric fridge. And you are young enough and wealthy enough to overlook all the negatives of propane appliances and to deal with the hassle of getting propane to a part time cabin. Hopefully the health of you and your family is also not one day compromised by propane's toxicity. Then there is the horrid environmental and carbon cost of propane that you are also ignoring. Again very weird in a solar forum but not so weird for Northern Canada, I guess.

It's more efficient to burn the propane in a generator, charge a battery bank and then use that to power a compressor fridge.

Or not. I might be making that up.

Also, I'm not very bright but seriously, why would you need a refrigerator/freezer in Northern Canada during the winter?

It's more efficient to burn the propane in a generator, charge a battery bank and then use that to power a compressor fridge.

Or not. I might be making that up.

Also, I'm not very bright but seriously, why would you need a refrigerator/freezer in Northern Canada during the winter?
You done snatched the words right out of my mouth.

Back