diy solar

diy solar

AC200P won't charge with solar panels

SolarSam2021

Hi,

I have an AC200P that is working fine charging from the wall. However, I am having trouble charging it with solar panels. The setup is:

AC200P
3x HQST HSP100P-L (100W 12V solar panel)

In my setup, I have the 3 panels connected in series. I am using the MC-4 adapter that came with the AC200P The open circuit voltage is around 55V as measured by a DMM (for reference, the voltage range for the AC200P is 35-150V). I have the panels in a window, so there is some partial shading of the panels, but it's a small portion of the panels.

When I plug it into the AC200P, the unit itself says that the voltage is around 52V (fluctuates between 46-55 or so). However, the charging current is 0A, and sometimes 0.1A.

Is there something I am doing wrong here? Thank you for any help and suggestions.

SolarSam2021

Solar through a window is already compromised substantially.

Even partial shading of a panel can completely destroy all its output.

In that final example with about 1/4 of the bottom of the panel shaded, it reduced output to 0.7% of rated - yes, less than 1%. They would have achieved the same result had they only shaded the BOTTOM ROW of cells leaving 92% of the panel unshaded.

Thank you so much for your explanation! I'm glad it's not the equipment that was defective. Do you know if there are any ways to mount solar panels in an apartment window so it's secure and you can still get good light?

Thank you!

SolarSam2021

Through windows, you are likely below the 35V minimum. If you had one more panel, it might work… also, any panes will cast shadows on the panels further limiting any panels in series…

I see, perhaps I am misunderstanding the panels. They are "12V panels" but the open circuit voltage is 18V (and I'm seeing 17V when plugged into the system).

For the 35V minimum, should I be considering only the 12V?

Thank you again for your help.

SolarSam2021

Panels yield operating voltage in light sufficient to read by. The intensity of the light determines how many amps the panels can deliver. By placing them behind glass and shading them, you're barely impacting their voltage, but you're crippling their ability to deliver current/power.

Shade one panel in a series string, and the entire string will be compromised.

Try it outside.

if you're still having issues after moving the panels from the window, make sure to change the charge setting from car to PV

While this was not related to my issue I wanted to give a big thanks for the DC input - car/PV setting information. No wonder I was having issue connecting solar panels.

Back