diy solar

diy solar

AC50 Simple Discharge Test

maverick80

I bought an AC50 (NOT an AC50S) in November when Bluetti briefly had them discounted to $299. I am aware of the AC50's DC port limitation but mainly use it via the AC inverter, so the non-regulated DC issue was fine with me.

I was definitely a bit spooked by Will's recent test on an AC50S that showed the battery having only half the rated capacity via the AC ports so I did a quick, informal (but I think decent?) test this morning. With the battery full, I plugged a floor fan into one of the AC outlets and let it run the battery down. The fan pulled a pretty consistent 110W according to both the AC50 and a separate power meter. The battery shut down in almost exactly 4 hours, so that's approximately 440Wh, or 88% of rated capacity.

Note this is very consistent with the tests that Hobotech did on both the AC50 (in December 2019) and the AC50S (in November 2020). In these cases, using the DC port, he pulled down 430Wh and 436Wh respectively.

I'm not sure why Will got such different results. Maybe it's due to the load he was using, maybe it's a difference between the AC inverter in the AC50 and AC50S, or maybe he just got a bad unit.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is these units don't seem to be inherently bad, but definitely test it out before putting it into use.

Back