diy solar

diy solar

Accessing Victron Multiplus Settings?

bluetrepidation

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a original Multiplus. What cable do I need to configure the device? If I install a Control GX can I access all the settings via it instead of purchasing the USB cable?

Thanks,
A.J.

The MultiPlus has 2 ports for UTP cables. Those are untwisted pair network cables. Search on B008F0XPLS at Amazon for one example. You can pick the color and length.

You can't access the MultiPlus settings with a Cerbo GX or similar. You need to run VictronConnect or VEConfigure3 on your computer to access the settings. In order to connect the MultiPlus to your computer you need a Victron MK3 VE.Bus to USB adapter (https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb) and a UTP cable.

The MultiPlus has 2 ports for UTP cables. Those are untwisted pair network cables. Search on B008F0XPLS at Amazon for one example. You can pick the color and length.

You can't access the MultiPlus settings with a Cerbo GX or similar. You need to run VictronConnect or VEConfigure3 on your computer to access the settings. In order to connect the MultiPlus to your computer you need a Victron MK3 VE.Bus to USB adapter (https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb) and a UTP cable.

Not really correct.

You can do all this remotely now with a Cerbo GX. You need to get VRM going and then can download the Multiplus settings via VRM, take into VEConfigure3, change settings, write out updated file, and use VRM to load it back. You can also upload firmware this way - via VRM.

So no MK3 required any longer. No USB connection required.

Not really correct.

You can do all this remotely now with a Cerbo GX. You need to get VRM going and then can download the Multiplus settings via VRM, take into VEConfigure3, change settings, write out updated file, and use VRM to load it back. You can also upload firmware this way - via VRM.

So no MK3 required any longer. No USB connection required.
I forgot about that feature of VRM. I have my MultiPlus hooked up to Raspberry Pi and I've downloaded the settings via VRM once or twice but only to look at the settings. I've never uploaded updated settings.

I forgot about that feature of VRM. I have my MultiPlus hooked up to Raspberry Pi and I've downloaded the settings via VRM once or twice but only to look at the settings. I've never uploaded updated settings.

Works great, and makes working on a remote install a lot easier.

Just *make sure* that whatever is running Venus OS is not powered by the Multiplus.... It will ask you many times to confirm during a firmware load as it is a sure fire way to brick the device if so.

I can't imagine having a GX or RPi being powered via the inverter but I guess someone must be doing it if it asks to confirm that fact a few times.

I can't imagine having a GX or RPi being powered via the inverter but I guess someone must be doing it if it asks to confirm that fact a few times.

Yes, I guess the only possibility is if you are running a rPI off an AC brick that is being supplied by the Multiplus. But in all the installs I've done if they have a rPI we use a little 5V buck convertor to power it right from whatever the DC side is.

sorry for bringing this old post back. Sound very interesting when you said that you hooked up your MultiPlus to the Raspi. I just received my MultiPlus and thought I can connect to the Raspi like the other Victron gear (with a simple VE.direct cable) but learned that I need the MK3-USB interface - is the MultiPlus automatically noticed by when I plug the MK3-USB in the Raspi? But what you are saying above sounds like there is no way to modify things - e.g. if I want to realize zero-feed into grid via the connected EM24 power meter that is already connected to the Rapsi. Or change the inverter power from the Raspi (maybe via Node Red on the Raspi image). Do you know if this could work?

is the MultiPlus automatically noticed by when I plug the MK3-USB in the Raspi?
Yes it is.

But what you are saying above sounds like there is no way to modify things - e.g. if I want to realize zero-feed into grid via the connected EM24 power meter that is already connected to the Rapsi. Or change the inverter power from the Raspi (maybe via Node Red on the Raspi image).
I don't know anything about the EM24 power meter. I've never used Node Red either. I can control the inverter's basic functions. I can set its mode (on, off, charge-only, inverter-only) and set the input current limit. All other settings require VE.Config (directly or via VRM).

Thanks a lot! Sounds good to me. Anyhow I guess there is no other way to connect the MultiPlus with the Raspi. Also I guess the Cerbo GX will also not offer more options when one use a VE.Bus connection from the MultiPlus with a direct cable connection (network cable). Maybe there is just this VE.Bus to Raspi connection build in the GX devices.

Anyhow I guess there is no other way to connect the MultiPlus with the Raspi.
I've seen some mention of adding a CAN bus to the RPi but I haven't looked into it much. Without that the RPi only offers USB which is why you need the MK3 to connect the MultiPlus to the RPi.

Also I guess the Cerbo GX will also not offer more options when one use a VE.Bus connection from the MultiPlus with a direct cable connection (network cable).
Since The Victron GX and the RPi run the same VenusOS I'm reasonably sure you get the same functionality despite being able to directly connect the MultiPlus to the GX.

Maybe there is just this VE.Bus to Raspi connection build in the GX devices.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Did you mean "MultiPlus" where you said "Raspi"?

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Did you mean "MultiPlus" where you said "Raspi"?
yes sure - sorry. I want to say Multiplus. Maybe the Cerbo GX has also a Raspi like hardware inside. Have you ever found somebody finding a DIY solution for the MK3/VE.Bus to USB device like for the simple VE.Direct connection - the Victron MK3-USB is 70,-- EUR in Germany. As far as I see the underlying layer is an RS485 for the VE.Bus. Using just a simple RS485 to USB might do the job - but not sure. Don't want set the 1600,-- EUR Multiplus at risk.

Have you ever found somebody finding a DIY solution for the MK3/VE.Bus to USB device
No, I haven't heard of anyone doing this but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I don't know. Maybe you can find a used MK3 cheaper than a new one.

Hi all. I ended up purchasing the MK3/VE.Bus cable and installing "Venus OS" on a Raspberry Pi to control my inverter. I didn't really need a screen so saved a few $ going this route.

If you decide you'd like a touch screen for the RPi, you can get one for under $50. I have the following:

Works really well. The only issue is that there is no way to turn off the backlight so even when the screen goes black it gives off a slight glow. Mine is near the foot of my bed and the slight glow is far less of an issue than a single green LED light on my water pump switch.

Back