diy solar

diy solar

Accidentally short circuited battery

Ryan

I accidentally dropped my copper bar on my 12v battery and short circuited it, caused a spark. It only touched for less than a second. Battery voltage from my meter is reading 0.9v now. Am I SOL?

What's the make and model and type of the battery? If you are lucky the BMS has just tripped and is waiting on some condition to turn back on. It might, don't do this yet, need voltage to appear from a charger to wake it back up. Hopefully if your battery does have a BMS it hasn't killed it. Don't frett if that is the case. You can get replacement 3rd party BMSes that you could open the battery up, again don't do that yet, and replace.

I got a Lion Energy battery. 12v lithium ion

*edit*
Check post below.

OK, so that has a BMS. How long has it been since your shorted it? If it's more than half an hour you an assume intervention is needed.

Do you have a low current 12v supply, say an amp or so? An old ADSL modem / router power supply would be OK. If you do, connect that across the battery, taking care to ensure + from the power supply goes to + on the battery, and likewise for the - and - terminal. At the same time connect your multimeter so you can see the voltage on the terminals of the battery, then with your 5th hand turn the 12v power supply on, make note of the voltage, then turn the power supply off.

Do not use another battery to do this. We need to ensure that what ever we supply power to the battery is not capable of much current.

Did the voltage read by the meter increase, if so, to what?

Doesn't Wills thread here apply:

Doesn't Wills thread here apply:

CheezWiz, that did the trick, back up and running.
Thanks for both of your help. Appreciate it - got scared for a second. ?

Would have left me with odd amount of batteries for creating a 24v bank and didn't really want to have to buy another one.

Great, informative information in this conversation everyone. I never even considered how a BMS might behave in a shorted or reverse polarity event. I'm still coming out of the lead acid Stone age.

Back