diy solar

diy solar

Acopower 100W Solar Panel $49.99

I got my tracking numbers last night and it said they would be here in ohio on the 10th. But then I got a update from fedex and now its friday . I thought 3 days to ohio from California was a little optimistic. I will post when mine get here . I dint know why I got excited over this deal i have 20 340watt onws sitting in the garage in havent had time to get installed yet .....lol. I guess I got the bug

Dan

I got my tracking numbers last night and it said they would be here in ohio on the 10th. But then I got a update from fedex and now its friday . I thought 3 days to ohio from California was a little optimistic. I will post when mine get here . I dint know why I got excited over this deal i have 20 340watt onws sitting in the garage in havent had time to get installed yet .....lol. I guess I got the bug

Dan
I'll tell you why, having small modular panels for camping, concerts, tailgating will make all your friends jealous ;)

It's a clear-sunny 9:30AM here in northern AZ and this panel produces 4.23a ISC. What I would note is that the open-circuit voltage is higher than rated on the labels and I'm seeing 23.5v consistently on each panel. So when I test again mid-day I think not to expect the label to be correct on the ISC but very very optimistic I'll see ~100w. TBD

It's a clear-sunny 9:30AM here in northern AZ and this panel produces 4.23a ISC. What I would note is that the open-circuit voltage is higher than rated on the labels and I'm seeing 23.5v consistently on each panel. So when I test again mid-day I think not to expect the label to be correct on the ISC but very very optimistic I'll see ~100w. TBD
Keep in mind, VOC is rated at 25C and 1.5atmospheres distortion, 1000W/m2
Your sunshine may be above 1000, or less than 1.5atms, or cooler than 25C (77F)

FYI: the 50% off deal is now gone on Amazon.
FEDX tracking on my order on 8-05-2022 shown it is just picked up by FEDX on the 8-09-2022, they are supposed to be here from So. Cal to my Bay Area home on the 8-11-2022.

There are other 100watt panels on Amazon available for less than $100. Name brands with proper listing. They won't sell any without the deal or dropping their price lower than the better listings.

So at 11:15am today with some clouds I was able to test and boy these panels produce...
The best ISC I got was 6.23a, I blew-out a 50w Halogen headlamp in < 1 minute. Before it got cloudy I got ~105w output using both a voltmeter & current-meter -> 18.2v * 5.77a

What I would say is that the labels on the panels are off w/respect to Isc and Voc, the later of which could not be explained by long test-leads... This is also true for the 200w panels as I was able to generate > 12a ISC yet the panel label stated 10.2a.

One issue with these panels(and probably many other brands) is that the lower-left solar-cell(last-string-last-cell or last-string-first-cell?) get hotter than the rest, ~15% from what I as seeing using my thermal-gun. While a thermal-gun is not as nice as thermal-imaging it gets the job done if you just want to know if a string is dead...

So at 11:15am today with some clouds I was able to test and boy these panels produce...
The best ISC I got was 6.23a, I blew-out a 50w Halogen headlamp in < 1 minute. Before it got cloudy I got ~105w output using both a voltmeter & current-meter -> 18.2v * 5.77a

What I would say is that the labels on the panels are off w/respect to Isc and Voc, the later of which could not be explained by long test-leads... This is also true for the 200w panels as I was able to generate > 12a ISC yet the panel label stated 10.2a.

One issue with these panels(and probably many other brands) is that the lower-left solar-cell(last-string-last-cell or last-string-first-cell?) get hotter than the rest, ~15% from what I as seeing using my thermal-gun. While a thermal-gun is not as nice as thermal-imaging it gets the job done if you just want to know if a string is dead...
This is concerning.
Hot cells indicate lack of production, bad diodes, shading or damaged traces.
Above isc amperage is also quite odd…

We did get them for $50 each plus tax with free shipping. ?‍♂️

I haven't had a chance to test mine out further yet, still just have the one sitting on the roof of the van waiting to fly off in the wind. I wish I had more time to play with toys instead of dealing with nonsense all day.

I do have a thermal gun that takes pictures, I could try looking at mine sometime soon.

This is concerning.
Not shading, saw no hot-spots on the traces. Just that cell is a warmer in general and this could be due to the series-resistance. I also notes the end-cell of the 1st string was approx 10% higher. I looked for data on this, what the deviation should be and the only thing I know for sure is that this cell did not exceed the 'operational temperature' of 90deg Celsius - not even close for the 100w panel.
Now the 200w panel it was right-there at the max so I am very concerned and will test those more tomorrow. If I find that all 10 panels I bought are like this(consistent) I will assume it's just a design-thingy(welded Al buses..)

I do have a thermal gun that takes pictures, I could try looking at mine sometime soon.
That would be great, just to confirm that this is a design thingy. Again, I'm seeing very good power and the temperature of that cell does not worry-me too much like the 200w panels...

This is concerning.
Regarding the ISC, I've tested with 2 meters, shortest-possible runs and one thing might explain this. These panels come-with rather long MC4 wires that of-course as-with any wires, introduce some resistance. Further, these wires may be made of Al - like the buses to prevent galvanic-corrosion. Now, my tracing/testing wires are copper - less resistance, so we perhaps the voltage is not '0' which in-turn would result in a larger current. Just a theory :)

Regarding the ISC, I've tested with 2 meters, shortest-possible runs and one thing might explain this. These panels come-with rather long MC4 wires that of-course as-with any wires, introduce some resistance. Further, these wires may be made of Al - like the buses to prevent galvanic-corrosion. Now, my tracing/testing wires are copper - less resistance, so we perhaps the voltage is not '0' which in-turn would result in a larger current. Just a theory :)
my theory sucks, I'm looking at the curve-characteristics on the data-sheet that the current should remain flat up-to Vmpp - 20.4v,

my theory sucks, I'm looking at the curve-characteristics on the data-sheet that the current should remain flat up-to Vmpp - 20.4v,
Based on all your previous posts, I don't think you know what you are talking about. Get your act together and stop babbling.

Fed-X just dropped off my 2 panels this afternoon. Was surprised they got here quicker than anticipated. Them mules must have got an upgrade. Boxes were a bit beat in shipping so I wondered how the panels fared.

After I brushed off the 1/4 inch of dust I opened the boxes to inspect the panels. Had to brush more dust from the panels before I could check them out. Propped up in the sun (3pm my time) they both give 23vDC that is over the labeled 22Voc.

Can't say the packaging was all the best but hard to criticize too much when you get a working item shipped from Planet California.

I also just received my four panels today 8-11-2022, boxes have some scratches and ripped on the corners on some of the boxes but there is no damage to the panels.
Voc is 23.70, Isc is about 5A.
I test it on my Bluetti EB70 and see as high as 90W (testing one panel at a time) going into the Bluetti so I am happy with result and for the price I paid for, this is perfect for my Bluetti.

Back