diy solar

diy solar

Active balancer, make it smart!?

Oh I am not complaining... I asked the question about the module I was looking to purchase and got no response as the conversation had drifted in another direction which is why I mentioned it in my followup.
I didn't think you were complaining, just wanted to ascertain you that your solution is equally welcome and in line with the direction or topic of this thread, so you should not feel that you are derailing the direction or so.

No response doesn't mean that your question was off topic or uninteresting, there are many silent readers who wait and see and are curious to read how things unfold. Sometimes there is just nobody who can answer or add something.

I've uploaded the wiring layout to GitHub and attached it to this post. You'll see why I tabulated all the connections in the documentation - it's a bit of a rats nest to look at.
For these kinds of projects I prefer to mount all the modules to "dotted veroboard" using female pin headers. This way the point-to-point wiring can be soldered on the underside while still producing a reliable and clean end product with removable modules.

A word to the wise: using jumper or "DuPont" wires is fine for prototyping, but they're far too unreliable for permanent applications. Be prepared to spend a bit of time with the soldering iron and wire cutters.

View attachment 139170
All parts inclusive the screen have arrived, tomorrow i try to find out how to upload the code and then i assemble it.

Do you probably have a picture of your actual installation to get an idea how i could arrange all the parts?

Do you probably have a picture of your actual installation to get an idea how i could arrange all the parts?
No, I've only run this on my test bench as I don't use the JBD BMS anymore. The arrangement will be up to you.

No, I've only run this on my test bench as I don't use the JBD BMS anymore. The arrangement will be up to you.
Ok, thanks, nevermind.
I started to figure out how to upload the code but ran into some issues. In order not to spam this thread i have sent you a private message.

Andy at the Off-Grid Garage has released a video on this topic, his preferred solution is a voltage controlled relay:

I prefer to control based on actual cell voltages (and I enjoy the challenge of implementing that, plus other features), but I can't argue with the simplicity of the relay option for someone who wants a quick fix.

Andy at the Off-Grid Garage has released a video on this topic, his preferred solution is a voltage controlled relay:

I prefer to control based on actual cell voltages (and I enjoy the challenge of implementing that, plus other features), but I can't argue with the simplicity of the relay option for someone who wants a quick fix.
Its working good for me.

Here is my Quick&Dirty solution with a Shelly1, which can be controlled wonderfully via Node-Red in connection with MQTT. Works perfectly. The Shelly1 was still lying around and I had no desire to buy something new. Quickly built a mount with Fusion360 and ready.

PXL_20230415_221911753 (1).jpg

Bought the same product Andy used and it arrives today. Price was $2.85 with $1.90 shipping. Can’t wait to get this going on my pack.

I monitor my 3 bms's with an esp32. I have a relay on one gpio line controlling all 3 Heltec balancers. Just using voltage so turn on >27v and turn off <26.9V. I could complicate the logic by including delta and charge status but this has been working well for over a year.

Bought the same product Andy used and it arrives today. Price was $2.85 with $1.90 shipping. Can’t wait to get this going on my pack.
I bought one as well.. the diy solution I made works well but I like that the display on this unit shuts off to consume less power. and its a more self contained solution than my current setup. once this video went out the price of these skyrocketed on ebay so I bought mine on aliexpress but I still paid like $10 it finally showed up a few days ago.

I bought one as well.. the diy solution I made works well but I like that the display on this unit shuts off to consume less power. and its a more self contained solution than my current setup. once this video went out the price of these skyrocketed on ebay so I bought mine on aliexpress but I still paid like $10 it finally showed up a few days ago.
I’ve been distracted by normal life and have not even had time to unbox mine. If you don’t mind sharing info when you get yours going I’d appreciate it.

I’ve been distracted by normal life and have not even had time to unbox mine. If you don’t mind sharing info when you get yours going I’d appreciate it.
I bench tested the relay. Works perfect. Will work on adding it to a pack next weekend. If all good, will buy a few more!

Here is my Quick&Dirty solution with a Shelly1, which can be controlled wonderfully via Node-Red in connection with MQTT. Works perfectly. The Shelly1 was still lying around and I had no desire to buy something new. Quickly built a mount with Fusion360 and ready.

View attachment 145610
That really is a perfect solution. Love the Shelly's. With this application, you have made a pretty smart application.

Mission to one of the smartest and feature richest solution finally accomplished!

@octal_ip guided me with his really patient and kind being successfully through all the hurdles i encountered (and there were quite a few for a greenhorn like me) towards the final completion of his working super smart and handy solution!!

All the infos here:

Following a few snapshots
IMG_20230426_153400.jpg

IMG_20230427_210744.jpg
IMG_20230427_211642.jpg
IMG_20230427_221439.jpg
The starting and stopping of the relay works flawlessly, i tested it, it will turn on when any cell is above 3.4v, and off when the highest cell drops below 3.35v.

Last edited:
Finally got my A30-U3 hooked to my test pack. Works perfectly waking up and stopping the 5a balancer at whatever voltage I choose. Great solution for JBD BMS.

Finally got my A30-U3 hooked to my test pack. Works perfectly waking up and stopping the 5a balancer at whatever voltage I choose. Great solution for JBD BMS.
Can second that, works great, hooked also one up to our 16s battery with an Ant-bms. Super easy setup, top functions.

Can second that, works great, hooked also one up to our 16s battery with an Ant-bms. Super easy setup, top functions.
@Vi s , Out of curiosity, what are your settings. I have mine coming on at 55v (charge to 56.4) and turn off at at 54.5. My fully charged delta is .005 and discharge to 48v has a delta of .002.

Last edited:
@Vi s , Out of curiosity, what are your settings. I have mine coming on at 55v (charge to 56.4) and turn off at at 54.5. My fully charged delta is .005 and discharge to 48v has a delta of .002.
If that delta (at 56.4 and 48) is without a balancer than i wouldn't even use one! ? Amazingly matched cells!

Sure, right now (subject to change) charge stop at 55.2v (because we have a runner cell but maybe the a30 and the new threads (a few were stripped) will hopefully reduce that issue) with 0.5h absorbtion (to avoid instant discharge once 55.2v is hit). These particular values are due to our circumstances, especially because of the inverter and its lead acid charge profile (no lithium profile unless you have a bms which can talk to the inverter). Battery pack 10.2mOhm, 0.6 to 1mohm per busbar.

Balancer goes on at 3.4v (54.4v to catch runner cell) and off at 54V. So far float charge at 54.1v (otherwise the battery gets discharged). Our inverter is only a few weeks old, still in the observation, learning and adaptation phase till the optimal settings for our circumstances and needs are found.

Back