diy solar

diy solar

Active Equalizer (Balancer) and BMS.

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
I have yet to find a BMS with the ability to actively balance while discharge or charging, or one with more than 0.200 amp.

So, what do you think about added a Active Equalizer to a BMS, wired in parallel?
Do you think it will that muck anything up?

Chargery BMS: 1.2A per cell balance current is very useful for large capacity battery pack, the feature can resume all cell
voltage balance status at the shortest time. Over temperature protection make sure the system safety
during balance.
* Balancing can occur during charge, discharge or while at rest (no amps out).

Many BMS' do not have balancing built in. A Separate balancer apparently is fine to add in along side a BMS' without balancing function but I also read that it should use it's own wires / connection as opposed to being "piggy backed" onto the BMS harness...

A Separate balancer apparently is fine to add in along side a BMS' without balancing function but I also read that it should use it's own wires / connection as opposed to being "piggy backed" onto the BMS harness...

Yes, because otherwise the balancing currents will induce voltage drops along the wires and the BMS will read the wrong voltages.

I thought that Will P had pretty much debunked active balancers, since due to the 'flat curve', they only really do their 'stuff' in the 'knees' at either the top end or bottom end. For degraded packs with less than 70% capacity, i wouldn't think they would be getting 'pushed' high/low enough into the 'knees' for long enough, to effect a useful balancing function?
Is what i have picked up on this wrong?

I'm assuming the chargery statement, that balancing can occur while 'at rest', references when charge is complete, but they are floating at a trickle input with no outgoing loads(hence no amp flow). Still trying to understand this fully. :-(

I thought that Will P had pretty much debunked active balancers, since due to the 'flat curve', they only really do their 'stuff' in the 'knees' at either the top end or bottom end. For degraded packs with less than 70% capacity, i wouldn't think they would be getting 'pushed' high/low enough into the 'knees' for long enough, to effect a useful balancing function?
Is what i have picked up on this wrong?

I'm assuming the chargery statement, that balancing can occur while 'at rest', references when charge is complete, but they are floating at a trickle input with no outgoing loads(hence no amp flow). Still trying to understand this fully. :-(
This is my point exactly I have found from testing 100's of cells and logging the data that most of the energy is located in a specific voltage range which on a a 200AH cell could 5Ah in 1/10 of a volt if you are trying to balance when the batteries are in that range it will be tough. Balancing is best at the ends of the spectrum.

I have yet to find a BMS with the ability to actively balance while discharge or charging, or one with more than 0.200 amp.

So, what do you think about added a Active Equalizer to a BMS, wired in parallel?

I am in the same boat, but I now think about it, why not just get another pack?
and this ebay one does not look like a active balancer, so far only qnbbm/deligreen one are proven working correctly with max 6Amp

batrium watchmon elite would be the best one for that but it is not out yet, and it would be super expensive (price of 2 BYD pack)

I am in the same boat, but I now think about it, why not just get another pack?
and this ebay one does not look like a active balancer, so far only qnbbm/deligreen one are proven working correctly with max 6Amp

batrium watchmon elite would be the best one for that but it is not out yet, and it would be super expensive (price of 2 BYD pack)
I figured out how to make the ANT-BMS active balance.

It's in the app already, you just have to understand "I D ten T"

The magic switch is under the label;
"Max Balance Limit Voltage".
Set that to 2.9V or even 2.7V, but not 3.65V, and now the ANT-BMS balances the cells.

The setting right after that is where the "I D ten T" takes affect...
"Start Balancing Voltage"
"CellDiff Value to Start Balancing"
These settings appears to do absolutely nothing regardless of the number you type in.

I figured out how to make the ANT-BMS active balance.

It's in the app already, you just have to understand "I D ten T"

The magic switch is under the label;
"Max Balance Limit Voltage".
Set that to 2.9V or even 2.7V, but not 3.65V, and now the ANT-BMS balances the cells.

The setting right after that is where the "I D ten T" takes affect...
"Start Balancing Voltage"
"CellDiff Value to Start Balancing"
These settings appears to do absolutely nothing regardless of the number you type in.

I did try that, it seems generating resistor heating to reduce one cell under that voltage you set, I don’t think it’s active balancing
Its similar to Batrium’s early balance feature, I currently set to 3.5V to get them top balanced

I'm looking for one also and I found this. 1A/2A Active Balance Battery Protection Board Smart BMS 14S ~ 24S 100A 150A 200A 300A 400A Phone APP Lifepo4 li-ion LTO 16S 20S. On aliexpress store ic gogogo
Hope it helps, they also have them for 5a and 10 amps. Seen them on alibaba.
C$ 133.49 14% Off | 1A/2A Active Balance Battery Protection Board Smart BMS 14S ~ 24S 100A 150A 200A 300A 400A Phone APP Lifepo4 li-ion LTO 16S 20S

This one should do exactly what you want, it takes volts from the highest cell and dumps it in the lowest cell through a capacitor, while charging or discharging. It's in production wright now and will be available soon. It also has three temperature sensor. I was waiting for some feedback on this platform, before I press the buy 2 button.

Sorry I had the wrong one before.

Last edited:
Hi does someone has this Heltec 4s Balancer active at home.

My Diode has passed away. I cannot see the SMD designation.
Is this a S4 or M4 diode.
Would be great if someone can check.

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• IMG20201204162320.jpg
    IMG20201204162320.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG20201207190005.jpg
    IMG20201207190005.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG20201207204511.jpg
    IMG20201207204511.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20201207204826.jpg
    IMG20201207204826.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 16
Hola, alguien tiene este Heltec 4s Balancer activo en casa.

Mi diodo ha fallecido. No puedo ver la designación SMD.
¿Es este un diodo S4 o M4?
Sería genial si alguien pudiera comprobarlo.

Gracias
Beto
diodo balanceador heltec.jpg

Back