diy solar

diy solar

add a smoke detector to your system

The instructions for that Victron charge control specifically says to use “fine strand wire”. Like Ancor marine wire? That type of terminal that they use I’ve had trouble with in the past with wire working loose if the wire is lightly moved or repositioned, so do check them occasionally. The smaller green ones that you typically find on inexpensive Chinese devices are extremely hard to get tight without twisting it on the board! The ion type plus a heat detector is what I’m thinking of tying into the home circuit and because of this post it just got move up in priority.

I always use strained wire on DC systems. But other than that not sure what you are getting at, and nothing I use is inexpensive Chinese devices ( can't say no Chinese devices ) where is Victron made? but not cheap LOL

From a Victron MPP 150/35 & 150/45 manual. I think they are aware of something. I my opinion it shouldn’t matter except for the correct wire gauge. I don’t like what happened to you by an expensive device. Other than that Victron is extremely high performance. 357E263D-97CA-4A2C-A2B1-BA704292C388.png

These look similar to the ones I’ve seen in the Victon but smaller and worse. Zero grip serrations. When you see these little things be aware how easily they loosen and the wire slip out. Ferrules actually seem to be worse in them. Tying a tight knot in the strands and snipping the excess off and putting the knot all the way to the back passed the clamp jaw at least keeps it from slipping out and finding something it shouldn’t. If you haven’t seen them, you’re lucky. 797CF1D1-7E26-4CA7-B447-8E01CA67D51F.jpeg

Are there smoke detectors that you can wire to a disconnect switch to disconnect the PVs from the charge controller?
Yes, I use more expensive versions to shut down HVAC systems. Look this $12-16 one up on Amazon and other places for Kidde detectors.

Kidde SM120X​

They also make one for their CO detectors, for those of you with gas burning appliances.

You come up with appropriate wiring, fuses, relays, transformer, etc.

Last edited:
Looks like that SM120X module will work with most hardwire smoke detectors. Probably work its NO/NC positions into a rapid shutdown like the Sol-Ark 15 has. Lots of possibilities.

Back