diy solar

diy solar

Add batteries maybe get off grid

Markemac

I have installed a solar system there are 36 panels with enphase ig7plus inverters, a enphase combiner box,
What do I need to add batteries and maybe get to where I don't need the grid at least not much

Its my understanding that you whole system is converted to 110 volts at the panels and sent to the grid? or is it DC sent to an inverter? and then the grid?

It is converted to Ac 120, 220 then sent to the grid,
So I think I would need a converter/battery charger to change back to DC, then another inverter to change back to AC?

You would need a hybrid inverter or use the Enphase Encharge batteries. My understanding of the Encharge batteries is they are only installed by certified installers and are more expensive than DIY.
By the way the micros only put out 240 volts split phase using two wire with no neutral. They can be AC coupled to a hybrid with batteries. Most hybrids are All In One devices that have everything needed to do the conversions.

In my signature is my installation using an Outback Skybox. My suggestion is that you decide what capacities you need in terms of surge capacity, if any, kW maximum consumption needed to cover times when you are using a lot of electricity. How much solar panel capacity in kW do you have with your existing 36 panels? Finally how much battery capacity do you need in kWhs?

Then you can look at hybrids that fit your specs. If you do not know these answers there are several links to energy audits where you can come up with a reasonable estimate. Hybrid inverters come in various sizes and prices. You can spend $10,000 or you can find some basic hybrids for a lot less. There are lots of threads talking about various hybid inverters that could work well with your existing system of micros.

The picture in your signature, is that the outback skybox? Will that work with my system? I will try and figure out my consumption needs, I will search energy audits,

Back