diy solar

diy solar

adding 4 new higher wattage panels with an additional charge controller

westlake1

I want to add 4 480 watt panels to an existing system. The system is a 3525 Outback Flex power1 with 2 strings of 2 305 watt panels. i am adding another flexmax 80 with the proper breakers. are the 480's in 2 strings of 2 compatible with the 305's

If the 4 new panels are connected to their own SCC and you keep the existing panels on their existing SCC then there won't be any compatibility concerns.

Assuming the Flexmax 80 is an 80A charge current SCC then you need at least a 24V system to handle that 4 480W panels. Just make sure the new SCC can handle the Voc of a 2S2P arrangement.

Also make sure your batteries can handle all of the extra charge current. Assuming you do have a 24V system, the 4 305W panels can produce up to 50A of charge current. And you are about to add 80A more. Can the batteries take 130A of charge current?

If the 4 new panels are connected to their own SCC and you keep the existing panels on their existing SCC then there won't be any compatibility concerns.

Assuming the Flexmax 80 is an 80A charge current SCC then you need at least a 24V system to handle that 4 480W panels. Just make sure the new SCC can handle the Voc of a 2S2P arrangement.

Also make sure your batteries can handle all of the extra charge current. Assuming you do have a 24V system, the 4 305W panels can produce up to 50A of charge current. And you are about to add 80A more. Can the batteries take 130A of charge current?
I have 2 banks of 4 trojan ssig 490's 24 volt system

Back